PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Townsville Nth. Qld.

splinters041
11th July 2014, 07:37 PM
Been a member of the forum for a while but never got around to introducing myself. I'm now retired and loving it.
Worked in mechanical, woodworking, welding and was self employed up till 2013. love making machinery mainly for knife work and I'm currently active in the knife making scene. I am sure I will pick up some good ideas from the forum members.http://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

crowie
11th July 2014, 08:47 PM
G'Day & Welcome to a top forum "splinters".
There are a good few members in FNQ and all around the great sunshine state.....
You'll find a heap of helpful & knowledgeable blokes & ladies on the forum and for most very willing to assist.
Make sure you show off your handiwork as everyone loves a photo, especially WIP [Work In Progress] photos with build notes.
Enjoy the forum.
Enjoy your woodwork..
Cheers crowie

Old Croc
11th July 2014, 10:00 PM
Hey Splinter, welcome to the forum. Are you any good at Tigging ally? I have a new fully electronic machine and can't get it to work,:no:
Rgds,
Crocy

splinters041
12th July 2014, 06:36 AM
Hey Splinter, welcome to the forum. Are you any good at Tigging ally? I have a new fully electronic machine and can't get it to work,:no:
Rgds,
Crocy
It's a long time since I did any tigging, the machine I used had a high frequency spark gap that you had to adjust to get it right. It was a CIG welder, quite a large unit that my brother in law picked up from Cairns.

Christos
13th July 2014, 10:09 AM
Welcome to the forum.

old1955
13th July 2014, 02:25 PM
Welcome to the forum.

Perfect Pens
22nd July 2014, 09:04 PM
Hey Splinter,

Welcome to the forums mate :2tsup:
Cheers
Tony

Old Croc
22nd July 2014, 09:43 PM
It's a long time since I did any tigging, the machine I used had a high frequency spark gap that you had to adjust to get it right. It was a CIG welder, quite a large unit that my brother in law picked up from Cairns.
Yes I still have one of them, but I thought the new electronic job would make it easier, how wrong was I. Give me a PM sometime as I play with forging some times, but I am color blind so I cannot temper. Dad was a blacksmith, bit disappointing for both of us. I also mill tons of timber so if you need knife handle blanks I may have what you need.
Rgds,
Crocy.

Lyle
23rd July 2014, 10:13 AM
Welcome on board.
Nearly retired myself, well maybe if they don't keep shifting goal posts.
Was born and bred in Townsville. Gulliver boy, Heatley High school.
Left in '77 and never been back.
Place will have changed a lot since then.

Lots of great people in here and a wealth of knowledge and people who want to share it.
Have fun.
Lyle.

JJF
24th July 2014, 12:38 AM
welcome to the forum

splinters041
30th July 2014, 06:11 AM
Welcome on board.
Nearly retired myself, well maybe if they don't keep shifting goal posts.
Was born and bred in Townsville. Gulliver boy, Heatley High school.
Left in '77 and never been back.
Place will have changed a lot since then.

Lots of great people in here and a wealth of knowledge and people who want to share it.
Have fun.
Lyle.

G'day Lyle, Townsville has certainly changed since you left, in 1977 I was living in Fulham Rd. Heatly and had a workshop on the cnr. Bayswater and Duckworth street Garbutt. Their was plenty of times I was going to leave and nearly did. Cheers Derek