PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Scotland

stevethebeard
14th April 2014, 10:29 PM
Hi there.

I was searching the net for information on restoring horse drawn vehicles and came upon your excellent forum.

I recently acquired an old flat dray type vehicle for a single horse, and mean to restore it and use it. It was last used by a local person, about fifteen years ago, to deliver fruit and veg to his customers, but previously had been the property of a local dairy.The woodwork is totally rotten, full of old worm, and most of it fell away during transportation of the thing to my home. However, the metal parts, wheels, turntable, springs and axles are saveable, and there is enough wood left on it to let me get pics and drawings so that I can copy the originals parts.

I haven't a clue about what type of wood to use, or what tools I'll need to do the work. That's why I'm here. :D

I should use hard wood, I'd imagine, for the 'framework' at least, but I don't know anything about grains and strength and such. A friend of mine used to work with 'tulip' wood a lot. He liked it for musical instrument parts, I seem to recall. I wonder if it would be suitable for my job, as lightness of weight will be a major factor, as well as strength and endurance.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I'll live long enough to see the job out. :D Thanks.

tdrumnut
14th April 2014, 11:04 PM
Great to havevyou on board Steve

crowie
15th April 2014, 09:36 AM
G'Day & Welcome "to the Great South Land" & to a top forum "Steve".
There are quite a few members from UK on the forum as well as across the rest of the world..
You'll find a heap of helpful & knowledgeable blokes & ladies on the forum and for most very willing to assist.
Make sure you show off your handiwork as everyone loves a photo, especially WIP photos with build notes.
Enjoy the forum.
Enjoy your woodwork.
Also check out the Toymaking sub-section on model making - some top wagons & coaches....
Cheers from On Top DownUnder, crowie

http://www.woodworkforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=201
http://www.woodworkforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=174

old1955
15th April 2014, 10:09 AM
Welcome to the forum Steve.

Old farmer
15th April 2014, 12:14 PM
G'day, Steve. You are very welcome.
I realise I am getting ahead of myself but.........do you have the horse, mate??
All the very best to you.

david.elliott
15th April 2014, 02:13 PM
be surprised that the "Old Farmer" would put the horse before the cart.

HE KNOWS what he's doing!

Welcome aboard Steve...

Perfect Pens
15th April 2014, 09:48 PM
Welcome to the forums Steve :2tsup:

Cheers
Tony

Christos
16th April 2014, 11:56 PM
Welcome to the forum.

I might suggest to post your question in the general part of the forum http://www.woodworkforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8 as not everyone visits the welcome section of the forum.

Hope you enjoy the process on the restore of the cart.

JJF
17th April 2014, 10:56 PM
Welcome to the forum

cava
17th April 2014, 11:39 PM
Welcome, and what part of Scotland do you hail from?

stevethebeard
25th May 2014, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the welcome guys.

I'm from the east coast of Scotland, near Dundee, Cava. I was born in the shadow of the Forth Bridge, but I've spent some time in various parts of Scotland. I prefer being further west, but this is it for the moment.

I do have a horse for the dray, Old Farmer, :wink:. I have seven of them actually as I do a bit of breeding using a Fell pony stallion over cob mares. I also train horses for other people. I have one mare in particular which would suit this vehicle. She puts me in mind of the co-operative society milk delivery vanner type horses. I can remember seeing them pulling drays on the streets of Edinburgh up until about 1968. St. Cuthbert's dairy had them, and that's where old Sean Connery worked as a young lad for a while.

popawisky
28th May 2014, 10:34 AM
The advantage in using Tulip Wood, which has been used for musical instruments, is the inbuilt sound system.
Welcome to the clan Steve

Old farmer
28th May 2014, 11:09 AM
Steve, many thanks for the very interesting post about your horses and skill.
i have seen only pictures of Fell ponies, of course, and imagine they are ideal for carts.
i remember, during the 1950s, seeing in Sydney bakers' and milkmen's carts being pulled by horses which responded to voice commands to "Get up" and "whoa there" without any work with the reins.
All the best you you.