PDA

View Full Version : Another waterproofing question

Trav
11th May 2005, 12:51 PM
Perhaps we need to start up a waterproofing section... just kidding.

A quick question - do I need to water proof my laundry and/or toilet (separate from bathroom) before I tile it? I'm thinking of pullign up the hideous old lino and tiling the floor and one tile around the bottom of the wall.

Also, do I need to put tile underlay down if it is over a timber floor? Or can I use flexible tile grout?

Thanks

Trav

arms
11th May 2005, 06:57 PM
before you do anything ,think about the bathroom and laundry as a small swimming pool and then have a thought about if it filled with water how would you best hold back the water or at best contain it,your answer will be in a sealed container ,which leads me to the answer of line the floor with villa board and seal/waterproof the joints with a water proof membrane,
hope this helps

Pulse
11th May 2005, 07:39 PM
Is it ground floor? If so then no real need, just use water resistant sheeting like villaboard. It will only get wet in abnormal situations not in everyday use. Use ceramic tile underlay before tiling, cheap and doesn't expect too much from your adhesive.

Cheers
Pulse

Gaza
11th May 2005, 09:46 PM
Cost of waterproofing gear $250.00

Cost of redo tiles/floor/ in 5 years $2500.00

Your call. safe investment, you are half way there by striping it out.

Woodlice
12th May 2005, 04:48 AM
Is cutting out the wood floor an option? Who builds houses with wood floors in a wet area or are you putting the laundry in to a wooden floored area?

wombat47
12th May 2005, 09:54 AM
Our old house boasts a large laundry which had a wood copper in the corner (built on a rubble and concrete fireplace base), concrete base for concrete tubs, and the remainder of the floor old wide floorboards, complete with burns.

Concrete area now tiled - but with a slope towards a newly installed (in terms of age of house) floor waste, and remainder of floor sanded and sealed. A rug covers the burns. No overflow accidents - yet. The timber floor has coped well with a couple of minor freezer melt-down incidents.

transit
12th May 2005, 09:58 AM
Is it ground floor? If so then no real need, just use water resistant sheeting like villaboard. It will only get wet in abnormal situations not in everyday use. Use ceramic tile underlay before tiling, cheap and doesn't expect too much from your adhesive.

Cheers
Pulse
Hiya, i also have to do a similar job and pull up the old tiles over a timber floor and retile. It's in a highset post-war house.

Do you recommend villaboard for the tile underlay or is FC sheeting ok?

Pulse
12th May 2005, 07:48 PM
Sorry, Villaboard for the walls, ceramic tile underlay for the floor. Both 6mm FC products, probably identical but CTU is not recessed and does have dots to indicate where to hammer in the CTU nails (ring shanked)

Alternative is to replace the subfloor (floorboards with 15 or 18 mm hardipanel but it is expensive and heavy.

Cheers
Pulse

Trav
13th May 2005, 10:17 AM
The bathroom and toilet are on a slab but the laundry, for whatever reason, is on timber.

So, the answer sounds like FC sheets down first, followed by normal tile adhesive and then tiles. Oh, and waterproof too :D

Thanks everyone

Trav

Metung
13th May 2005, 03:03 PM
I found a site, www.aprilshowers.net, that has a lot of useful waterproofing information.