PDA

View Full Version : Suitable Sealant

maglite
6th May 2005, 11:39 PM
Gday All,

I need some advise.
What sealant would most members use to seal the bottom edge of tiles in a shower recess, around a bath,vanity etc.

I bought some sikaflex "sanasil"....it is silicone...is this suitable or should i be using a polyurethane sealant instead.

Very interested in your thoughts.
Cheers
Steve

mic-d
7th May 2005, 04:38 PM
I find any antifungal bathroom silicone work well.
cheers
Michael

Jacksin
8th May 2005, 01:08 PM
G'day Maglite.

The stuff I use is Maxisilia, available from Beaumont Tiles or Home H/ware for about $9 a tube. It contains fungicides and comes in all colours to match your grout. The method of installation as recomended to me by a tiler is:

Clean out all the old filler. Then using a tooth brush or similar clean out the joint with metho to kill off any fungus etc. Allow to dry and pump Maxisila into and along the joint doing no more than a couple of metres at a time (because it skins in 5-10 mins). Using a weak mix of dishwashing detergent in a squirter bottle, give the sealer a LIGHT spray and clean off using the end of a wooden stick from an iceblock or similar. This stick has a rounded end and will give a nice small radius finish to the filler. As the stick collects the excess scrape it off onto a piece of cardboard. Another light spray and run your finger over the joint to collect any odd bits left behind and thats it. Try a short section to begin with.

If you stuff up a bit you will have to cut it out and clean up again because nothing will stick to the soap film. Its recomended to leave it to cure for 24 hours, if you can. The purists will tell you it is necessary to mask each side of the joint, but this takes for ever and is too bloody messy.
Jack ;)

Dean
9th May 2005, 12:44 AM
I use Selleys "Wet Area" silicone. Has the anti-fungal stuff and seems to hold up well. I tape all the joints though... call me a purist yes :D but I might give the paddle pop stick idea a go next time.