PDA

View Full Version : Tile underlay

Gumby
20th April 2005, 05:50 PM
Just wondering if trimming some tile underlay on my Triton 2000 will blunt the saw blade. Anybody know before I try it ?

echnidna
20th April 2005, 06:01 PM
Masonite stuff will be quite ok but cement sheet stuff will stuff the blade.
Reckon I could have said that as a poem
But couldn't be stuffed with the stuffing around getting it to rhyme.

Barry_White
20th April 2005, 06:06 PM
Just wondering if trimming some tile underlay on my Triton 2000 will blunt the saw blade. Anybody know before I try it ? The masonite one should be OK as long as the Tiles aren't stuck to it.

Gumby
20th April 2005, 06:08 PM
thanks boys. It's that cement sheet stuff so i'll go with my thoughts which were confirmed by your input. I'll leave it off the TS.

I just scored some with a knife and it breaks pretty cleanly so that should get most of it done.

mic-d
20th April 2005, 07:06 PM
Wow that would be dusty! You could use either a guillotine or a score and snap knife. Those little tungsten tip buggers are cheap and useful for so many other things, I'm alway finding new uses. eg scraping out grout

Cheers
Michael

echnidna
20th April 2005, 07:11 PM
It can be cut with an old handsaw but it will blunt it pretty severely but if your h/s is on its last legs and you need to cut internal corners etc.....

Gumby
20th April 2005, 07:40 PM
Yeah Bob, I've used an old power saw with a 30 year old blade ! But as mic-d said, it's very dusty. Lucky I have a Triton respirator.........dust, what dust ? :D :D

Gaza
20th April 2005, 11:28 PM
U can buy a 4 teeth cfc blade from bunnies about $30.00. blade is 71/4

Pulse
21st April 2005, 10:49 AM
I bought that blade at Bunnies.... it is really crap. The small washer thing to reduce the arbour size is thicker than the blade. When I tightened it up in my Bosch 7.25 inch saw the blade stays still and makes an awful screeching noise. So I went back to bunnings .... they were't much help and told me my saw was at fault because the blotters are usually recessed. Even though they sell that saw!

Anyway I borrowed a thinner washer and sanded it even thinner with wet and dry. Now the blade spins but it is still crap. The packet says it cuts Hardipanel on the front but on the back it says it doesn't cut FC flooring (ie Hardipanel) Anyway I confirmed that it doesn't cut hardipanel. Even when cutting villaboard it bounces around, making a really rough cut Feels bloody dangerous.

My advice, buy a $3 abrasive disk or use the $8 score and snap knife for the thin stuff like CTU or villaboard.

Cheers
Pulse

Dan_574
21st April 2005, 10:52 AM
Thats a shame pulse I bought one and it worked fine, it lasted long enough when I clad my house in hardipanel weather boards, mind you it was no good at the end, but for $30 it was monel well spent

johnmc
21st April 2005, 12:04 PM
I cut up tile underlay sheets using a fibro cutter - a little sweat, no dust.

BrisBen
23rd April 2005, 12:55 PM
Fibro cutters are the way to go - around 30 bucks a pop

If you really had some fiddly bits to do you can use an angle grinder with a diamond tipped tile blade

scooter
23rd April 2005, 10:14 PM
Score & snap carbide knife, or diamond blade in angle grinder is the go I reckon.

Cheers..................Sean

Gumby
24th April 2005, 08:56 AM
Thanks again guys, it's all done and now ready for the tiles on Tuesday. (my first serious attempt at floor tiling) :eek: