PDA

View Full Version : plyfloor v's particle floor

Metung
6th April 2005, 09:43 PM
I would be interested to hear comment upon the relative merits of using plywood flooring or particle board flooring in a second storey situation using Woodlogic Hybeam joists for the support. I intend to use a floating timber floor on top.

Gumby
6th April 2005, 09:46 PM
Particle board most certainly. I have been doing renovatiuons here and the new additions have yellow tongue particle board while the original house has ply (about 1980's built). When putting tiles down, the particle board is fine but the ply is very flexible and bounces a bit. I've had to add extra joists under the ply wher vi intend to tile so that they don't crack. The ply also tends to squeak in spots where there is a natural knot. The modern particle boards are much better.

echnidna
6th April 2005, 09:49 PM
I would be interested to hear comment upon the relative merits of using plywood flooring or particle board flooring in a second storey situation using Woodlogic Hybeam joists for the support. I intend to use a floating timber floor on top.
ply floor is stiffer than pb but it transmits noise through it far more readily than pb. In an upper storey I would use pb.

Gumby
6th April 2005, 10:11 PM
ply floor is stiffer than pb but it transmits noise through it far more readily than pb. In an upper storey I would use pb.

Not the stuff I've got it isn't. Bounces like a trampoline.

echnidna
6th April 2005, 10:39 PM
ply is much worse than pb.
Its a good idea to use 22mm pb @ 450 joist cts

Gaza
7th April 2005, 04:54 PM
depeneding on the type of timber used in the ply ie hardwood or softwood will vary what it can span.

Ply does not bubble up at the edges like pb does when it gets wet,

T&G ply has a differnt structual rating to normal ply sheets,

If i was using PB go for H2 or termite treated as the HJ come H2 treated alreay std.

glock40sw
8th April 2005, 07:32 PM
Why a floating floor?

Why not direct stick a 12mm Solid wood overlay T&G floor?
It will outlast a floater by 15 to 20 years.

Hooroo.
Regards, Trevor
Grafton