PDA

View Full Version : Laying floorboards

Andrew in Tas
6th March 2005, 02:54 PM
I'm going to lay 85mm tas oak t&g onto joists. I will be using a manual secret nailer that uses 50mm cleats. I am tossing up whether to use an adhesive as well. On the tasmanian timber website they say you can use a elastomeric adhesive such as Ramset safe-t-bond or Fullers Maxbond. I dont know anything about the ramset product but I thought the maxbond was a cheap general construction adhesive like liquid nails. I was thinking of using a flexible polyurethene like Sikaflex. I'm conscious of the fact the boards will move depending on the moisture content. Has anyone had any experience in this area?

Thanks in advance

journeyman Mick
6th March 2005, 03:18 PM
Andrew,
I've always used a bit of polyurethane adhesive/sealant when secret nailing floors. Either sikaflex or bostik. It only takes a few cartridges for a whole house but provides insurance against squeaky boards. Haven't ever had any call backs for squeaky boards so I'm assuming it works (or wasn't needed in the first place :rolleyes: ). Just make sure you clean all the sawdust etc off the top of the joists.

Mick

Grunt
6th March 2005, 03:22 PM
Laying floorboards

Get the drunk first and then put the hard word on them. Always an easy lay.

glock40sw
6th March 2005, 04:18 PM
Andrew.

Bostik Ultraset in a sausage.
Place a 5mm bead along the joists in a 6" long side to side wobble.
Sounds harder than it is. Like heaps of 6" long capital S's joined together.

For Christ's sake do not use a water based glue!!!
I inspected a job on the Gold Coast during the week where water based glue was used under Blackbutt T&G. The water out of the glue caused the floor to expand and the floor finally blew. Luckily, The floor is savable by ripping it up and relaying after the boards are climatised for 2 weeks insitu and new ply is installed over the slab.
Hooroo.
Regards, Trevor
Grafton

Gaza
6th March 2005, 05:27 PM
Sikaflex is a general term the product that is made by sika for timber flooring adheisve is T55. (use sauage gun).

If only doing small area just use a stick to get the adheisve out but it is messy, the gun is around $100.00 to buy.

Botsik's flooring glue is ultraset or instant pro timber floor adheisve.

A tip stay away from sellys liquid nails for floors this is not a flexible adhsievse, that will allow the timber to move.

Andrew in Tas
6th March 2005, 08:26 PM
Thanks guys, either Sikaflex or Bostik it is.

Grunt, I just keep thinking of the splinters (ouch). Now some nice shagpile carpet, that could be a different story!