PDA

View Full Version : Need Hard Finish over BLO

mrpedersen
13th May 2012, 06:31 AM
I'm currently completing several BSAW boxes, they are made from the 'beetle pine' wood and the infected area is quite soft. So far I have applied 2 coats of BLO approx 50/50. The color and grain effect has come out to what I wanted. A lovely medium brown and the edge grains have really popped out.

I'm wondering which would be the best for the final finishes, I do have water based clear poly, spray lacquer and I think some varnish. And should I apply several more coats of BLO?

any suggestions welcome,

glenn

John T
13th May 2012, 11:21 AM
HI GLEN
I think if they were mine i would spray with lacquer at 70/30% 4 coats and sand between coates with 400 grit and wax with trad wax and a good polish,they will very swish.
regards john.

mrpedersen
16th May 2012, 01:16 PM
Hi John, I've done a little more light sanding and 1 more coat of BLO. Sanded this and have applied 2 coats of lacquer with sanding, 1st with 220 and second with 320 both dry. I am using a spray can and managed to get a couple small puddles / runs. I'll give this coat 24 hrs. and see how they are with some light sanding and follow up with a few more. I do have a compressor but no spray equipment.

A bit more tlc and should be complete.

thanks
Glenn