PDA

View Full Version : Finished the deck!

Theremin
13th February 2005, 11:21 PM
Having used a lot of information from posts on here, I though I'd post a picture of the back deck which we have just finished renovating. Attached are before and after photos. A few comments:

- screens on the ends of verandahs are now compulsory in Brisbane, where there are nearby houses. We have used Kwila, which is the same timber as the balustrade. It has a coat of Intergrain Dimesion 4 and 2 coats of Intergrain DWD.

- the floor has been sanded (by a professional floor sander) and stained with 3 coats of Sikkens Cetol HLS. This is good stuff although, being an oil, the dust seems to stick to it a bit when you walk on it. I assume it will continue to dry and this won't be such a problem.

- we replaced the window because the old one was awful, and it made sense to put a servery in. The window was custom made by Woodworkers (Marooka) to fit the space of the old one. We went for a double hung instead of bi-fold window mostly because double-hung suited the house better and was a lot cheaper.

- The door from the kitchen has been removed, and a couple of sets of French doors (not in the photo) installed. This was mainly so we could have a bigger kitchen.

- The timber furniture has been cleaned used Intergrain Reviva, and has the same Dimension 4 and DWD treatment. I was surprised how well it came up.

- Yes, the BBQ is new. Note the spot light directly above the BBQ. Nothing worse than cooking in the dark.

- The top rail of the baludstrade is wide enough to carry quite a few beers while I am cooking on the BBQ :D .

Now, onto the next room...

tcns
14th February 2005, 12:54 AM
Very classy mate,

I am always impressed by people who get rid of those horrible aluminium sliding windows when they have the opportunity, great job on the deck

Tom

Harry72
14th February 2005, 01:41 AM
Agree with tcns, nice upgrade the old table/chair come up a treat too.

Woodlice
18th February 2005, 04:33 PM
Sweet! Not that it looked bad before (if a little cluttered) but it makes all the difference. Certainly looks more user friendly too.

Great job. The window looks magic!

J!

Kris.Parker1
22nd March 2005, 02:36 PM
Nice job on the deck. I like the screen at the end, it really ties in with the rest of your wood products and furniture.

Once again - well done!

Peter B
17th October 2005, 09:18 PM
I'm convinced that sikkens is the only way to go after seeing a friends deck that was done 18 months prior to me laying eyes on it , and it still looked new . He didn't have any trouble with dust sticking to it though.