PDA

View Full Version : old to look new again

silky oak man
6th January 2012, 11:11 AM
hell all, I,am doing up this old table, for a guy, and he want,s it sanded RIGHT BACK, he want,s it to look new, again, but I told him ,it,s in the timber, But he does not understand, what I ,am telling him, have tried, paint stripper, steel wool, sand paper, and more paint stripper, steel wool, and sand paper, any HELP, on the BEST way to do this , thank you:2tsup:

silky oak man
6th January 2012, 11:22 AM
And I don,t know what type of timber it is thank you

munruben
7th January 2012, 12:12 PM
Can't help much I'm afraid, if you have tried those things then I dont't know what would work some of the other guys on the forum may be more helpful.

Woodwould
7th January 2012, 01:34 PM
By the time you sand out the residue, there'll be precious little of the detail/table remaining.

derekcohen
7th January 2012, 01:41 PM
Tell him to buy a new table.

The charm of this particular table lies in the patina and detail. Sanding removes both. There are many that would pay a lot more for the patina than for the design alone. Stop before it is completely gone. Educate your guy.

Regards from Perth

Derek

_fly_
7th January 2012, 02:27 PM
ask him how good will he look with a facelift? They can't make him 20 years old again. Same goes with the table, there will still be wrinkles and dints but it could look better, but it will not look new.

ian
7th January 2012, 07:10 PM
hell all, I,am doing up this old table, for a guy, and he want,s it sanded RIGHT BACK, he want,s it to look new, again, but I told him ,it,s in the timber, But he does not understand, what I ,am telling him, have tried, paint stripper, steel wool, sand paper, and more paint stripper, steel wool, and sand paper, any HELP, on the BEST way to do this , thank you:2tsup:there was a similar request on a recent post re a bookcase. A 50:50 mix of thinners and metho, applied with steel wool was suggested to remove a stained varnish. Worth trying, but work out doors or in a very well ventilated space, and use appropriate gloves

dr4g0nfly
16th January 2012, 01:13 AM
I agree that the patina is what makes the piece and would try to convince him it's all part of the pieces history and interest.

But...

... if he insists, have you thought about bleaching the wood to even out the colour of the old stain residue. Then staining it something appropriate to act as a base for the finish.

Wild with Wood
17th January 2012, 08:00 AM
I think it is old old pine. Bleaching is the way to go to get it looking the same.

munruben
17th January 2012, 07:22 PM
Strange that some people want to make old furniture look like new when many furniture makers try to make their new furniture look old.:?