PDA

View Full Version : Hello from North Carolina!

rocfish13
28th July 2011, 10:39 PM
G'day mate!! Just joined the forum and also very new at wood carving. I have wood working experience from making custom turkey box calls. Only been doing that for about a year and a half. I posted a few of my calls. Also, love to fish and hunt.

colbra
29th July 2011, 12:04 AM
Hi Rocfish13
Welcome aboard enjoy the journey!
Are the turkeys native to North Carolina we have some here, they came mostly from Great Brittan about a 150 yrs ago I have one next door.
There are some native species too don't much about them. looking forward to some more posts on what your projects are and what you get up to over there.

Colbra:)

munruben
29th July 2011, 02:05 PM
Hi Rockfish and welcome.

Christos
29th July 2011, 05:07 PM
Welcome to the forum.

crowie
29th July 2011, 06:49 PM
G'Day and welcome "rocfish13",
Very nice items of woodwork with beautiful timber.
Cheers, Crowie

robbo37
29th July 2011, 07:13 PM
Welcome, Rockfish. I have an aquaintance south of you (South Carolina) who is also into carving. Great therapy he says.:cool:

ClintO
29th July 2011, 07:23 PM
G'day Rockfish, welcome aboard
I actuall prefer my turkey from the freezer cabinet sans giblets
I have 2 questions
1-I love the timber you have used, what are they?
2-How does a turkey call work?

rocfish13
30th July 2011, 09:56 AM
G'day Rockfish, welcome aboard
I actuall prefer my turkey from the freezer cabinet sans giblets
I have 2 questions
1-I love the timber you have used, what are they?
2-How does a turkey call work?
#1 - Amboyna burl body with an ebony paddle. Hand cut check pattern and Amboyna inlay. Also, a gold plated Gobbler mounted in the handle of the paddle. #2- End caps are Amboyna burl. Spacer is Maple burl. Main body is Koa. The base and paddle are padauk. #3- Afzelia burl end caps with a quilted maple main body. The handle on the body of the call is ebony with a koa wood tip to balance with the gold plated Gobbler(Tom) mounted in the ebony paddle handle. #4- Quilted maple body with a purpleheart paddle. #5- Walnut burl body with a mahogany paddle. Hand cut check pattern. We hunt male turkeys(Toms, Gobblers) In the spring when it's mating season. The turkey call imitates the female turkey(Hen) and tries to lure the Tom into gun or bow range. It's a challenge for sure. They can see extremely well! The hunting season is very regulated, as all are hunting and fishing is and should be. The calls I make are called box calls, but there are several other types of calls as well. The paddle( Piece of wood on the top) is mounted by a screw to one end of the body. You rotate the paddle across the sound boards(sides of the main body), which is hollowed out under the paddle. This causes vibrations that sound like hens calling. Thanks for the look!

Cliff Rogers
30th July 2011, 10:12 AM
.... How does a turkey call work?

Google is your friend. :D

‪Turkey Box Calling Tips‬‏ - YouTube

rocfish13
30th July 2011, 11:23 AM
Thanks, Mr. Rogers!!:2tsup:

SouthernSpur
14th September 2011, 09:38 PM
Welcome Rockfish. Good to see you. :cool:

Grommett
16th September 2011, 08:08 PM
Welcome. So much new stuff to learn about.:)

JJF
16th September 2011, 08:39 PM
Welcome to the forum.