PDA

View Full Version : Another newby...

sylvan
23rd July 2011, 05:59 PM
Hi everyone,
I was a cabinet/furniture maker for a few years, now a secondary teacher looking to get back into making furniture and hopefully start my own business. No idea where to start and how to get the ball rolling. Any suggestions? I'm finding it a bit daunting being a female in a male dominated industry.:rolleyes:

Christos
23rd July 2011, 07:17 PM
Welcome to the forum. There has been a few that tried to make a living some worked out and some not so good but the enjoyment of what I do is something that keeps me going.

For me it is just a hobby.

JJF
25th July 2011, 05:54 AM
Welcome to the forum

sylvan
26th July 2011, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the welcome, all the way from France!:U

Woodwould
26th July 2011, 04:21 PM
Welcome Sylvan! :thyel:

If you're really good at what you do, you work hard and you enjoy the majority of your work, you'll likely succeed. If you're mediocre yet very enthusiastic, statistically, you'll still probably fail.

colbra
27th July 2011, 12:00 AM
Hi Sylvan welcome aboard enjoy the journey its a lot of fun! try not to loose to many fingers on the way :2tsup:
Colbra :)

PS you have to watch them Frenchmen:D

sylvan
27th July 2011, 09:18 PM
Thank you all for the welcome, I am hard working and absolutely love the work. Oh and I still have all my fingers, so the future is looking good!

munruben
28th July 2011, 07:45 AM
Welcome to the forum.:2tsup:

rocfish13
29th July 2011, 02:11 AM
Welcome!!

Scribbly Gum
29th July 2011, 09:58 AM
Hi everyone,
I was a cabinet/furniture maker for a few years, now a secondary teacher looking to get back into making furniture and hopefully start my own business. No idea where to start and how to get the ball rolling. Any suggestions? I'm finding it a bit daunting being a female in a male dominated industry.:rolleyes:

Quick question Sylvan - is the male dominated industry, teaching or furniture making?
If you really dislike the teaching, then finding another happier pursuit is a good move. If you like teaching but just want a change of career, then I guess that you are referring to how to break into male dominated furniture making.
I am a very recently retired high school teacher who has thoroughly enjoyed the teaching, and more importantly those zany high school kids, for over four decades.
I know a lot of furniture makers, many who have been in the industry for a long time, and it is common for them to complain at how hard it is to make a living from their craft. Even the great James Krevov made no money for many years and was supported by his wife while he very slowly built up his business.
Now I am not trying to dent your passion for woodwork and furniture making - far from it, as I love it myself.
However it may just be that you can continue to love it as a hobby, while making ends meet with teaching. Worst case scenario would be hating woodwork and furniture making because it won't provide enough to make ends meet for you.
If the teaching at your present location is not floating your boat, then maybe a different school would help.
Good luck with your deliberations.
Cheers from Tele Point
SG

sylvan
29th July 2011, 08:09 PM
The male dominated industry I was referring to was furniture making. I am well aware of the difficulty in making a living from furniture making, it was more a side endeavour. I'm very fortunate that i now have the opportunity to teach furniture making at school as a VET subject. So I think I will be getting the best of both worlds.... I hope! And thanks to all your welcomes!:U

Scribbly Gum
29th July 2011, 08:13 PM
The male dominated industry I was referring to was furniture making. I am well aware of the difficulty in making a living from furniture making, it was more a side endeavour. I'm very fortunate that i now have the opportunity to teach furniture making at school as a VET subject. So I think I will be getting the best of both worlds.... I hope! And thanks to all your welcomes!:U
Great news - the world needs great teachers, and so do the kids.
I am glad that you will find satisfaction in your teaching. It is so important for your own wellbeing. Kids love the woodworking and don't want to miss out. Best of both worlds indeed.
Lucky you and lucky kids.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: