PDA

View Full Version : A whole new way to be geeky

claytonjohnroby
18th July 2011, 02:12 PM
G'Day, my name is John, my username has the rest.
I decided that I would like to take up woodworking as a hobby.
Made a dvd rack and a book case before deciding to pursue woodworking seriously.
I have a lot of books and have run out of shelf room. Need to create more book shelves.
Started researching woodworking on the net. Before a couple of weeks went by I had downloaded over 15 GB of books, magazines and plans.
I started pointing out various joints to my girlfriend. She looked at me and said "Yes, darling" in the way she does when I talk about computers or science or maths and I realised: Woodworking is a whole new way to be geeky.
I joined this forum a little over a week ago and discovered Waverley Woodworkers on this site. The club house is just a few kilometers south of my house.
Last Saturday Waverley Woodworkers had an open day, I went, I saw, I joined up.
My first project since deciding to pursue woodworking as a hobby is a wooden toolbox for the tools I have been getting.
I will describe it in the box forum.

A little bit about me.
Born in Perth, lived in Coolbellup for over 30 years. Moved to Victoria for work.
I now live in Burwood. I work on the helpdesk of a software company.

A Duke
18th July 2011, 02:25 PM
Hi Clatonjohnroby,
I am afraid you've got it bad and it has advanced beyond cure, so let it run it's coarse and enjoy.
Welcome to the Forum it will get you in deeper.
Regards

Harry72
18th July 2011, 02:48 PM
Geeky I think not use the nike motto... Just do it!

tea lady
18th July 2011, 02:54 PM
:think: Wood geek! I like it! :cool:

Christos
18th July 2011, 06:21 PM
Welcome to the forum. Nice to see another person with a geek (craft ) outlook. :)

munruben
19th July 2011, 08:34 AM
Hi John and welcome to the forum. you are in good company here mate, plenty of Geeks around. :2tsup:

JJF
25th July 2011, 06:31 AM
Welcome to the forum