PDA

View Full Version : G'day from Sydney

bill2016
5th July 2011, 11:20 AM
Hi All,

Long time listener, first time caller. It's great to be here :-)

I'm currently a 3rd year Tafe cabinet making student and seeking to learn as much as possible about fine woodworking.

My primary interests are around the Art Deco and and Bauhaus period. I'm also interested in works by Sam Maloof, Carlo Molino and 50s Scandinavian design. To create a Ruhlmann-inspired piece is on my bucket list.

Looking forward to participate and getting to know the other members on this forum.

Thanks,
Bill.

Christos
5th July 2011, 05:14 PM
Welcome to the forum.

wheelinround
5th July 2011, 05:21 PM
G'day

Those are some high standards your setting not unachievable, hope you have a nice workshop, tools and plenty free time.

JJF
7th July 2011, 06:43 AM
http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Films_et_TV/chaplin-20060614.gif welcome

munruben
7th July 2011, 08:32 AM
Welcome to the forum. :2tsup:

NZStu
7th July 2011, 12:27 PM
Welcome!

We seem to have very similar tastes in furniture - I'm especially keen on 50s Scandinavian (Mid-century modern in general actually), so I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

bill2016
7th July 2011, 06:22 PM
Thank you for the welcome.

Hopefully I'll be able to eventually make some sort of contribution to this forum but by the looks of things, I'll be learning more than contributing :-

@wheelinround - I am in the very fortunate postion to have access to a good workshop and great tools but very little time (oh well, 2 outta 3 aint bad). Hopefully, I might be able to do an Art Deco inspired piece when I do the Cert IV course next year.

Bryanatkinson
7th July 2011, 07:43 PM
Welcome!

It's nice to have new people who desire to learn new things in the community.
Hope you'll get many things from this forum.

kcam
7th July 2011, 09:14 PM
Welcome Bill,good to read of your diverse interests, you have some interesting challenges ahead and i wish every success......there are plenty of resources available for you to achieve your goals...cheers Kerry

Twisted Tenon
9th July 2011, 02:16 PM
Welcome:2tsup: where are you doing your TAFE?

Christos
9th July 2011, 04:32 PM
Thank you for the welcome.

Hopefully I'll be able to eventually make some sort of contribution to this forum but by the looks of things, I'll be learning more than contributing :-

You are already contributing, 2 posts so far. :)

bill2016
13th July 2011, 06:02 PM
Welcome:2tsup: where are you doing your TAFE?

Hi Twisted Tenon, Tafe Lidcome

@Christos - three now :U

Twisted Tenon
13th July 2011, 10:19 PM
[QUOTE=bill2016;1346411]Hi Twisted Tenon, Tafe Lidcome

I have just done a weekend course at the Sturt Gallery run by a teacher from Lidcome TAFE, Jim Littlefield. Very informative.:U
TT

bill2016
14th July 2011, 01:34 PM
[QUOTE=bill2016;1346411]Hi Twisted Tenon, Tafe Lidcome

I have just done a weekend course at the Sturt Gallery run by a teacher from Lidcome TAFE, Jim Littlefield. Very informative.:U
TT

Jim Littlefield was one of my teachers until his retirement at the end of last term. I found Jim to be very patient, helpful and a really nice guy.

How did you find the course?

Twisted Tenon
14th July 2011, 06:37 PM
Jim Littlefield was one of my teachers until his retirement at the end of last term. I found Jim to be very patient, helpful and a really nice guy.

How did you find the course?

He was just the same with us. One of his colleges from TAFE came with him as well and a student who was doing the 12 month Cert IV course. It was like a master class. All sorts of stuff was talked about and explained from plane fettling (demonstrated), joints, pros & cons of water stone versus oil stones (with demonstrations), box making. As there was only 8 in the class there was enough time to get through a lot.:2tsup:
TT