PDA

View Full Version : First Time

Casspam
7th June 2011, 03:38 PM
Hello,
I have been making Ukuleles in my retirement. I have been a proffessional Muscian / Singer most of my life & ran my own Recording Studio for 10 years in Duboo. Now I am turning to wood working making Ukes. I have been looking at thicknessers. Does anyone know If a thicknesser / Planer will go down to 2mm or 3/32"? I noticed on one of the posts there was a GMC in Darwin for $200. Is that still available? Caspamhttp://www.woodworkforums.com/images/icons/icon5.gif

LGS
7th June 2011, 04:10 PM
Welcome Casspam.

I know that I can get to 5mm thickness with my Carbatec 13" thicknesser/planer, but I'm not sure that you would be able to get any thinner on any thicknesser. You might be better to look at getting a drum sander.

Regards,

Rob

Christos
7th June 2011, 04:46 PM
Welcome to the forum.

What you might consider is to raise the height of the table by adding another platform or a sled that the piece will sit in. Just remember not to have this too short in length. Specification should be on the particular thicknesser.

munruben
8th June 2011, 07:44 AM
Hi and welcome, yes you can get down to 2mm thickness by sitting the timber on top of a thicker piece of timber and passing over it in that way, just make sure the timber you are using to support the piece you want thickened down is straight and level.