PDA

View Full Version : G'day, I'm new around here.

danny.s
22nd April 2011, 10:28 PM
G'day everyone, I'm Danny.

I've been reading the forum for quite a while and thought it was time to register and join the conversation.

I live in beautiful Cockatoo in the Dandenong Ranges in Melbourne. We had a house built 12 years ago and I've been working on it ever since. I've closed over doors, put new ones in, reno'd the kitchen, completed a 8m x 5m extension doing everything except electrical and stopping the plaster, built 2 large decks, a barbeque, a 7 x 7 gable roofed carport, did my own inground pool from start to finish, lots of retaining walls, pergola out the back, and numerous fiddly things. I can do decent quality work but am painfully slow. Still, I work for nothing so speed is not that important I suppose.

I did this because whilst I am an office worker I REALLY love building stuff! Got a dad and two brothers who are chippies so I'm never short of good advice - and good tools. There is simply no way I could ever afford what I have if I had to pay someone to do it.

I'm done with the big stuff now and am looking to get into more precision work like furniture and cabinetry. I've never had a workshop. My collection of tools, whilst not huge, is scattered everywhere. So I hit up the bank for some more money and this winter I am getting a 9 x 7 shed. No cars. Just my tools and my mower and my little trailer. Maybe a couch and a beer fridge. So the first project will be workbenches. The missus will be happy because then I can get rid of the brand new Makita table saw that is currently in it's box - in the house! Got it for my 40th. Also got a 5 set of Stanley top end chisels. So looking forward to playing with them having only ever had cheap crappy ones before.

Anyway enough about me. I'm off to search for threads on workbenches. I want to build one with a recess for the drop saw. Thanks for listening.

Danny

munruben
23rd April 2011, 04:47 PM
Welcome to the forum Danny, nice to have you aboard, Sounds like you have been really busy with all those projects. Great satisfaction from seeing the results of your own handywork.

artme
24th April 2011, 12:02 PM
G'day Danny and welcome to shed dwellers unanimous!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

You've been a busy boy! I am really envious of your shed! Makes my 6x6 look wimpy!

danny.s
24th April 2011, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys.

I learnt on this forum to get the biggest shed you can fit and afford. Well I can't really afford the 9x7 by I can fit it so I figure that's near enough. I really don't think I'll use much of it to start with though. I remember how great it was growing up with access to my dads workshop and would love my boys to have the same. I'll dedicate half of it to a karate training area for them and see how things pan out. Perhaps in many years I'll have more time to dedicate to wood and put some more machines in there.

I must say I'm excited at the prospect of learning the finer arts of woodworking. I'd love to be able to produce a nice tenon or Dovetail joint for example.

I'll post photos once I get it started.

Danny

Christos
26th April 2011, 06:22 PM
Welcome to the forum. I think you have done quite a lot with out a shed.

danny.s
28th April 2011, 11:28 AM
A point for clarity.

I do have a shed, I don't have a workshop. My shed is an old garden shed in the back corner of the block. It leaks, there is no power, it has no floor and it's full to the brim of crap I have managed to accumulate over the years. I did put a small workbench in there when I put it up but I haven't seen the bench for a while - I'm sure it's still in there somewhere :)

I know I have replaced hand tools over the years that I couldn't find but I know they are in there somewhere. The good part about this is that when I move my tools from in there and from the house and from the carport roof into the workshop I am going to find things I haven't seen in years!

Happy days!!

Christos
29th April 2011, 05:18 PM
Yeah very happy days...

I can just see you now, finding something that you thought was gone and trying to recall what you made from it. Could take weeks or months to clear out a small space. :U

Grommett
29th April 2011, 05:33 PM
Welcome to the forum, you sound like you are having, and about to have, heaps of fun. Just watch your new shed fill up. BTW I use shed rather than workshop. Work makes it sound like, well, work and not joy.

danny.s
30th April 2011, 09:53 PM
excellent point Grommet - shed it is.