PDA

View Full Version : G'day Y'all

RobertCox
4th February 2011, 09:21 AM
Greetings from New Mexico, USA. I am new to turning, but am having a ball! Mostly make pen and pencil sets, but have also done a set of Warden's Columns for my Masonic Lodge. Think I will tackle candle sticks next. I primarily use materials that I can find lying around this area. Love to work with shedded deer antler for pen making. Also Honey Mesquite wood, juniper, oak, pecan, and aromatic cedar woods. Not fond of acrylic yet. Kope to learn some good tricks from the members here.

Robert

munruben
4th February 2011, 11:04 AM
Hi Robert and welcome to the forum. We have many members here from the USA:2tsup:

RobertCox
5th February 2011, 08:53 AM
How do I upload pictures?

crowie
5th February 2011, 10:44 AM
G'Day Robert,
I've added a picture in the "post reply" as an attachment
[the paperclip on the menu bar].
I'm not sure if that's the only or correct way, but it worked.
Cheers from "On Top Down Under", Crowie

artme
7th February 2011, 12:22 PM
G'day Robert and welcome to the friendliest place I know!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Christos
7th February 2011, 07:06 PM
Welcome to the forum.

RobertCox
10th February 2011, 04:27 AM
I found a couple of photos on this computer of some of my work. I am just a beginner, but am feeling pretty good about what I am learning. Lots of good tips and video on the Web. One is a deer antler pen and letter opener, and the other is a Warden's Column made of acacia wood for my Masonic Lodge.

RobertCox
10th February 2011, 07:18 AM
Thanks for the hospitality. I am a newby to turning. Primarily learned what I have by on-line videos and how-to books. It is nice to find the interactive sources here. I do mostly pens and some other small stuff. I have been using deer antler for pens and some native woods like cedar, black walnut, mesquite, and pecan. I have also bought some acacia to do a set of Warden's Columns for my Masonic Lodge since adcia has some significance in Freemasonry. Here are a couple of photos of an antler pen and letter opener and one of the warden's columns. If there are any Masons out there, I am the Sr. Warden at Lovington Lodge #46 in Lovington, New Mexico, USA.

Christos
12th February 2011, 05:08 PM
That's pretty good.

Allan at Wallan
13th February 2011, 07:59 PM
Welcome Robert Cox !

I have been trying to get one of my fellow woodturners
at Northern Woodturners Club (a club we both attend),
to join the forum but as yet he has not done so.

He turns pens from deer antler as well as from wood
and is a relative newcomer to turning.

He is not a Mason though.

His name: Robert Cox. :2tsup:

I have mentioned that you have joined ... maybe he will
make the effort too. Nice to have you on board.

Allan

RobertCox
15th February 2011, 08:08 AM
I may have to look into starting a turning club. I know of one other turner here, but we are both Freemasons, so we see each other and exchange ideas regularly. I work for the electric utility here, and was able to get an old wooden "hot stick". It was about 8 feet long and 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Since we use all fiberglass hotline sticks, I only had to agree to cut this one into pieces to claim it. It makes some really cool pens, and the linemen and supervisors here love that they are make from their old equipment! If I could only find a clip replacement that has a lightning bolt or something similar on it.

I will send photos of the next one I turn.

Robert

RobertCox
19th February 2011, 01:43 AM
Welcome Robert Cox !

I have been trying to get one of my fellow woodturners
at Northern Woodturners Club (a club we both attend),
to join the forum but as yet he has not done so.

He turns pens from deer antler as well as from wood
and is a relative newcomer to turning.

He is not a Mason though.

His name: Robert Cox. :2tsup:

I have mentioned that you have joined ... maybe he will
make the effort too. Nice to have you on board.

Allan

Is he a horse thief, too? sometimes people ask, "what's in a name?" Whowoodathought another Robert Cox would have the same interests and use the same media! Thanks for the info.