PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from the USA

mimstrel
6th January 2011, 02:44 PM
G'day, Aussies!
Well, I have to admit to being an American on an Australian board, but I assume the processes are the same, even if I don't have the same kinds of trees growing in my neighborhood.

I originally learned woodworking from my dad, who tends to make things on a macro scale - furniture, buildings, and so on. He gets impatient with details. My skills lie on the other end of the spectrum.

After a few years without working on any wood projects because my dorm room wasn't really conducive to woodworking, I'm trying my hand at carving. I'm starting with a game set, for a game similar to chess (the game comes from a fantasy novel) but I would like to progress to carving birds.

I also really, really want to learn to make instruments, though my minuscule apartment isn't really a woodworking-friendly place, either, so for at least a while yet I will just be hanging out around that board and drooling...

Thanks,
Mim

seamus7227
6th January 2011, 03:10 PM
Welcome from Wichita Falls, TX, USA

artme
6th January 2011, 03:58 PM
G'day Mimstrel and welcome downunder!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

crowie
6th January 2011, 08:58 PM
G'Day Mimstrel,
Welcome to the forum.
You'll find a heap of helpful blokes & ladies on the forum.
I'm sorry but I'm only a would-be toy maker.
Hope it's not too cold were you are!!
Cheers from "On Top Down-Under".
Crowie

mimstrel
7th January 2011, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the greetings.

crowie- it is cold here - about negative 7 C or so, I think, but I have a good heater and lots of blankets. It was supposed to snow today, but it only flurried for a bit and then stopped.

I should say, I spent a semester in Australia, at the University of the Sunshine Coast. I spent some time in Brisbane and went SCUBA diving on the GBR a couple of times - really spectacular, to say the least. I'm a biologist and very interested in a global perspective, so it was great to get to such a unique area.

BUT, ironically considering how much colder it gets here, I *felt* colder at the Uni. This was because as it got into "winter," at night it would get down to single digits Celsius sometimes, but we had no heater and I didn't have spare blankets. So cold is a relative concept - I've slept outside at below zero Fahrenheit, and I remember being warm and cozy... because I was prepared.

Christos
7th January 2011, 06:31 PM
Welcome to the forum. Do post some of your pics when you have the urge to. :U

woodie2
7th January 2011, 06:51 PM
G'day Mimstrel. Welcome to the forum.
As you know it doesn't have to snow to get cold. Especially in Australia. I live on the South East coast of South Australia where it gets to -2 c overnight in the winter and the wind chill can make it very cold.

woodie2
7th January 2011, 06:53 PM
G'day Mimstrel. Welcome to the forum.
As you know it doesn't have to snow to get cold. Especially in Australia. I live on the South East coast of South Australia where it gets to -2 c overnight in the winter and the wind chill can make it very cold.