PDA

View Full Version : Hey

estelle.la
30th October 2010, 09:18 AM
Hey everyone,
My name is Estelle, and I am currently in my HSC year doing Design and Technology. For my MDP (Major Design Project) I was hoping to create 'eco-friendly outdoor furniture'.

I have 2 questions,
1) do you believe there is a possible market for such things?
2) do you have any suggestions for locations to find 2nd hand timber?

Thankyou :)

groeneaj
30th October 2010, 09:32 AM
Welcome to the forum, good luck :2tsup:

crowie
30th October 2010, 09:46 AM
Welcome to the forum Estelle and good luck for your HSC project or should I saw do the hard yards and you'll succeed.
I can't answer your first question but a suggestion for the second is a "demolition yard" for reclaimed/old/recycled timber; the timber is mostly much better quality than the local hardware and has some much more creator.
I'm sure you'll find some in the Coff's district; also consider some of the outlying smaller towns with old timbr saw mills.
Cheers, Crowe
PS - Don't forget to show everyone the progress of you "project", we all love photos.

Scott
30th October 2010, 03:39 PM
Welcome Estelle,

There's always a market for anything, especially furniture made from reclaimed timber. As per groeneaj, any place which reclaims timber etc is a goldmine. Maybe you could try your local tip? I know I've found some great pieces of timber there. Not that this will help you however I've obtained some great stuff from A&R Secondhand Timbers (http://www.secondhandstuff.com.au/) in Melbourne.

All the best for your studies.

munruben
31st October 2010, 02:59 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum. I agree with the above posts, demolition yards are great source for reclaimed timber from old homes etc. Just a word or warning though, if you buy from recycle depot or demolition yard, be aware that most of reclaimed timber will have nails in it so make sure you de-nail it before putting through a saw or router etc.

I would say there is definitely a market out there for this type of furniture but profitable? I wouldn't know.

artme
31st October 2010, 04:42 PM
G'day Estelle and welcome to the shed.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Recycled or reclaimable timber should be in god supply down your way, so do as others have suggested and let your fingers walk the yellow pages. Perhaps the local garbage tips have some salvaged timber also.

Eco friendly does not have to mean recycled or reclaimed. Using timber from plantation or sustainably harvested timber is a great way to lock up carbon.

Christos
31st October 2010, 09:20 PM
Welcome to the forum. Good luck on your project. I enjoy the search for recycled wood.