PDA

View Full Version : Hello all from Hot sunny Singapore

Xenophon
26th October 2010, 01:57 AM
Hello all,

im very interested in woodworking and am just starting out in woodworking. i have yet to gather tools for woodworking but i look forward to a fulfilling hobby in which i can spend time to just unwind from a day's work.

Sadly, the woodworking in singapore is not a popular hobby due to the high prices of property and the lack of space. However i do not wish this to be a deterring factor. It's terribly hard to get parts here, i am looking for a scroll saw and have set my eyes on the DeWalt DW788 scroll saw as i am interested in scrolling. I've asked the Distributor of DeWalt Singapore and sadly they do not hold the product nor even ship it to Singapore. Inquiring further i asked if they could ship in the DW788. And you know what? They gave me a thumbs down. :( citing reasons that they are not able to service the saw if anything goes wrong. Horrible situation.

Any ways out of this guys?

However on a lighter note You won't believe how i got into woodworking.

I started out with car sound systems and then progressively worked my way up by doing up my own subwoofer boxes with MDF boards. i questioned and asked myself, why couldn't i cut out intricate patterns for my sub box and here i am. Funny how things work out.

Really interested in scrolling and intarsia.

Cheers,
Freddie

artme
26th October 2010, 08:11 AM
G'day Freddie and welcome to the forum.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

There are several Singaporean woodworkers on the forum. A thread or topic search should help and then you can get in touch with them.

Good luck with it all.:):)

munruben
26th October 2010, 08:56 AM
Hi Freddie and welcome to the forum. Shame about the scroll saw but maybe you would be better off buying something that is serviceable locally. Welcome aboard.:2tsup:

Christos
26th October 2010, 07:26 PM
Welcome to the forum.

It is hard to woodworking in Singapore, as you said with the price on space.

Xenophon
26th October 2010, 11:53 PM
Thank you all for the warm welcome into the forum.

Really hope to get on with my woodworking soon! :2tsup:

One thing's good bout' Singapore, It has Trees and Trees Everywhere!!! But yet again, if you chop them down you'll go to jail. :(