PDA

View Full Version : Another American

Ron8bugs
7th September 2010, 05:37 PM
Good Morning!

My name is Ron, and I found this forum through my blog, Ronswoodshop.blogspot.com. Mrsidchrome was nice enough to link to me over in the Hand Tools — Unpowered forum (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f152/all-u-hand-plane-yankee-spiral-scredriver-lovers-123359/), and the rest, as they say, is history.

I've only been working with wood for a few years, I got my start by building my own furniture out of discarded 2x4's and plywood over in Afghanistan, where I regrettably was not ever able to work with the Australian forces, although I did speak with some of them when I passed through Bagram on my way home. When I got back, I ended up going to school and having too much free time, so I talked to my father in law and got into woodworking as a hobby. It's been about two years now, and I've started blogging to make what little I do know available to the public, to learn from people who know more than I do, and to make sure I keep up with the hobby through the school year.

I spend my time turning on my lathe, making boxes of various sizes and functions, chip carving, and relief carving. I also volunteer at a living history museum, where I work exclusively with hand tools from the 1800's (and earlier), as used in the American West.

seanz
8th September 2010, 01:24 PM
I also volunteer at a living history museum, where I work exclusively with hand tools from the 1800's (and earlier), as used in the American West.

Tools? Do you have pictures?
:D

Welcome aboard.
:)

Ron8bugs
8th September 2010, 01:57 PM
Tools? Do you have pictures?
:D

Welcome aboard.
:)

Sadly, in spite of remodeling the place this summer, I've never taken any good pictures of all the tools. You can, however, see many of them in the background of the following posts on my personal blog:

Drivel and Nonsense: Building My Own Coffin (http://ronandjana.blogspot.com/2010/07/building-my-own-coffin.html)
Drivel and Nonsense: Building My Own Coffin — Day Two (http://ronandjana.blogspot.com/2010/07/building-my-own-coffin-day-two.html)
Drivel and Nonsense: Finishing My Coffin (http://ronandjana.blogspot.com/2010/07/finishing-my-coffin.html)

I would take some pictures for you, but the place is closed down for the winter. Don't mind the more modern hand planes you see there, I take secondhand planes there to tune them up and then break them in, so they're not always strictly in period.

artme
8th September 2010, 02:58 PM
G'day Ron and welcome to our particular form of insanity!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Been to the living history museum in Calico and had a great time there.

Where is your museum??

groeneaj
8th September 2010, 03:24 PM
Welcome aboard Ron

Andy :)

TP1
8th September 2010, 03:27 PM
Welcome aboard Ron - great to have you here. I too would love to see pics of tools and projects at your end.

I am also happy to see you survived your tour of Afghanistan and hope all goes well with you back home following your invaluable service in that hostile territory.

Tasso

munruben
8th September 2010, 05:38 PM
Welcome to the forum Ron.:2tsup:

Ron8bugs
9th September 2010, 03:06 AM
G'day Ron and welcome to our particular form of insanity!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Been to the living history museum in Calico and had a great time there.

Where is your museum??

My museum is in the great state of Utah, United States.

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

artme
9th September 2010, 12:16 PM
My museum is in the great state of Utah, United States.

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

But Where in Utah??

BTW_ been to Zion National Park> Fantastic place.:2tsup:

Wongo
9th September 2010, 12:25 PM
One of the things I want to do before I die is to build my own coffin. Ron, you and I have something in common.

Have you used yours yet? :D

Ron8bugs
9th September 2010, 02:01 PM
But Where in Utah??

BTW_ been to Zion National Park> Fantastic place.:2tsup:

Zion National Park is one of our state treasures, but I've only been there twice, as I live on the Northern end of the state. For privacy purposes, I won't tell you exactly where - my wife doesn't want a mob of Australians banging on our door at all hours of the day and night looking for someone to keep their platypus while they head down to Zion. :wink:

One of the things I want to do before I die is to build my own coffin. Ron, you and I have something in common.

Have you used yours yet?

Mine stands right by the door of the woodshop at the living history museum, and many tourists pose there with some fake flowers to take pictures, but I've not used it myself, thankfully. In all truthfulness, I'll be building another when I'm older to actually be buried in. Somehow a three day project with hand tools and rough pine just didn't turn out well enough for me to be seen in after I die. Oh, vanity!