PDA

View Full Version : Well, hello there.

Durdge39
19th August 2010, 10:52 PM
Hello all

I figured it was about time I posted one of these. I've lurked nearly every day for the last couple of years but post very little - I'm a bit shy, but hey, we're all different.
My name is Tom, I'm an aircraft maintenance engineer (apprentice as yet) for a family owned business in Nelson, Victoria - yes, as an SA'er it's hard to admit I work over the border in Mexico. In the past I was an IT techy and a yard hand.

My passion for wood has been on and off since I was at least 5-6, but within recent years has become much stronger and I have taken a bias toward the use of hand tools, except for my beloved bandsaw for resawing planks and ripping logs into manageable bits. Through my work I have practiced sheet metal, fabric, metal turning and basic milling. This has lead me to a fascination with almost any craft where I can create something. I enjoy fine details, sharp tools, and that constant desire to get something perfect - even when I am impatient and bugger it up. I hoard wood like a hermit, and have done some odd things to pursue free or cheap wood. I figure if you can't make anything out of it, you can still burn it in the winter! :D

When my life settles down a bit and more time makes itself available, I plan to begin creating hand planes and other small tools, and concentrate on joinery practices to create moderate sized pieces of furniture. One of these days I will post some pictures of things I've done, but until then, I hope to continue to learn as much from the members here as I have in the last two years. Who knows, maybe one day I will be able to pass on some knowledge to the people here.

Cheers for now, Tom.

munruben
20th August 2010, 09:52 PM
Nice introduction Tom, welcome to the madhouse.:2tsup:

Christos
21st August 2010, 10:27 PM
Tom

You have already pass on some knowledge. About who you are. :U

Welcome to the forum.

coffenup
22nd August 2010, 07:17 PM
welcome to the mad house & a warm welcome to another south aussie
Regards Michael

artme
23rd August 2010, 12:54 PM
G'day Durge and welcome to the fun!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

This is a great place to be and we all learn from each other, help each other out and keep each other on the straight and narrow.:q

hoots
28th August 2010, 03:01 AM
Gday All,

I am new to this and would like to say that i am not a wood worker at all but have been brought up to appreciate nice timber. My Father had a passion for NSW rose wood and i have fond memories of growing up in a very nice smelling house. My Father drove a truck with a crane into some very remote areas around Dorrigo and Belligen NSW and brought home some beautiful logs of rose wood. Mr Neil Scobie with some sort of swap arrangment made Dad some very beautiful peices of furniture.

In my working life i have made the move to work in Laos and have been here 6 years now. I have regulary seen some great peices of timber furniture here but the skills of the blokes making it have never excited me. Reciently i have found a furniture shop here in Laos where the workmanship seems to be as good as you will find in south east asia. Mr Neil Scobie would not approve of their work but it is passable for me and I have started to buy some rose wood pieces from here for when i travel back home (Darwin).

The reason i have got onto your forum here is (i love beautiful timber) i want to identify a timber from over here that the locals call Mai Ka Noung. It is very dark red in colour but has very large black pieces through it. It is very heavy but seems to split easily. It is one of the most beautiful timbers i have ever seen. It is the most expensive timber here and is very hard to obtain. I found 2 pieces today (the locals might have been lieing to me, i am unsure) that were about 18inches long and about 8 inches square. the bloke that i was talking to said he paid 1000THB for each of them which is about 40AUD each. They were rough sawn with a chain saw.

Any body heard of a timber from over this way that they reckon sounds like this?

Christos
29th August 2010, 02:22 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Can not say much on the wood that you are speaking of. Might I suggest that you post this question in the timber section of the forum TIMBER - Woodwork Forums (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f14/) with pictures.

Al B
29th August 2010, 09:09 AM
Hey Guys welcome on board :2tsup: