PDA

View Full Version : analine dye

Toucan
12th October 2004, 11:14 AM
Hello to All,

When working with analine dye, do you have to use wood conditioner for end grain prior to the dye application?

I made a "Ladder" shelf out of white pine and I want to have a nice even dark walnut color. If I stain it I think the end grain of the shelves will be a lot darker than the rest of the unit. So for this project I was thinking of analine dye. From what I've read the color will be more consistant even on the end grain.

I would appreciate any feedback on this project. Any tips for using analine dyes will be greatly welcome as well. I will be using the water soluble dye by Transfast. Then I will be applying a UV protection Polyurethane as a finish.

Thanks in advance,
Gary

:-)

ubeaut
12th October 2004, 05:06 PM
G'day Gazza - You're asking the wrong end of the world on this one. Analine dyes are almost impossible to get here in Australia, so they are not widely used.I'm sure our members would love to offer some help but most will never have been able to find any here to use for themselves.

Cheers - Neil :)

glenn k
12th October 2004, 11:57 PM
When I was studying chemistry we were told a story about a baby that was killed because the mother but a nappy on the baby that had the price written on it with aniline dye. There was enough taken in though the skin to kill so I would be careful using the stuff.

Handyann
13th October 2004, 05:59 PM
Hi guys

Aniline dyes in their full-strength state are extremely toxic and if you're ever mixing your own from the powder, you really need the full protective gear - gloves, goggles and a respirator if you have one or at the least a particle mask rated to exclude fine dust.

The proprietry anilines available as ready-mixed dyes are much less of a problem, but obviously should be used with care.

That's the limit of my know-how on anilines though - in my ignorance I would have thought that end-grain will show as darker no matter what you use, due to the greater absorption?

Regards

Ann

Dewy
18th October 2004, 05:26 AM
I can point you to a topic I just replied to on woodstains.
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=533
The end grain soaks up more but it is only on the surface so a light sanding after drying brings it back to the same colour as the main field.
The solution is weak allowing you to build up the colour with each application.
You could rub less on the endgrain.
I apply it with a small sponge.