PDA

View Full Version : Leichardt Pine

Little Festo
6th October 2004, 10:35 AM
I have just turned a piece of Leichardt Pine. Ths is the "oilest"timber I have ever come across. It was almost like turning butter. Any suggestions on what finnish could be used??? The wood is greasy to touch.

I have soaked the piece in shellack sanding sealer to harden up the surface and applied a oil finnish. It seems to be working as the applied oil seems to hardening/setting ok. I still need to apply a few more coats of oil to finnish off the surface properly. Its gone from a golden yellow to nice yellow brown (oxidation??). I'll post a pic later (if it works).

Has any one else used Leichardt Pine and how did you finnish it??

Peter

Jarrah
6th October 2004, 05:57 PM
Leichardt Pine....?

Is that ordinary pine that has been outside in Leichardt for 50 years thereby rendering it very greasy by absorbed air pollution?

:) :D

PAH1
6th October 2004, 06:02 PM
Leichardt Pine....?

Is that ordinary pine that has been outside in Leichardt for 50 years thereby rendering it very greasy by absorbed air pollution?

:) :D

Na, just cheesewood by another name. I did not comment before as I have not worked with it and thus have no practical advise to give about finishing it.
Naucla orientalis. Not to be used for external exposure.

Little Festo
7th October 2004, 10:46 AM
Actually I did a bit of searching on the web.

Nauclea orientalis (Leichhardt Tree/Cheeswood) is often confused with Leichardt Pine (not a pine/connifer - just looks like one)possibly Anthocephalus chinensis. I've worked with cheeswood and it's definatly not cheeswood, we have one growing in our front yard. Anyway what I'm doing seems to be working, will post a pic (if it works) when finnished.

Peter