PDA

View Full Version : How do I seal Bark edges

Brizkit
10th September 2004, 11:30 PM
I have searched but found nothing of any real assistance.
I have a Camphor Laurel board I am preparing as a cheese board, I want to retain the bark edge as a feature but obviously need to seal it. How do I achieve this and retain a natural look??

Also I have been told that superglue is the best way to hold the brk that has lifted, will this work?

JB
11th September 2004, 12:48 PM
Superglue or epoxy resin should both work well.

Hard ask on the finish. I'd leave it natural and wash and sand it clean as needed.

Ozartisan
13th September 2004, 08:50 PM
Hi JB
I have turned a number of items with bark still attached. All were turned green, and the bark was pretty well attached.
Here is a pic of a Wattle bowl - finish on the timber is EEE & Shellawax, the bark stabilised with shellac.
Good luck
Peter
Happyinsydney

ozwinner
13th September 2004, 09:01 PM
Nice picture of your hat!!
So wheres the picture of your bowl??????? :confused:

Al :D

vsquizz
13th September 2004, 11:11 PM
Use a polyurethane finish on the bark only. Maybe 1 or 2 coats, put it on sparingly and leave the first coat for 48 hours before checking to see if it needs another. Too much and it will go really shiny and plastic looking. Good clean with a scrubbing brush and air/blower first up. Epoxy the loose stuff as above.

Cheers

Brizkit
14th September 2004, 11:03 PM
Thanks for that, I think the light coating of poly on the bark will seal it well enough, and I may resort to a little grapeseed oil to enhance the colour and grain.