PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for darkening Oregon ?

craigb
7th September 2004, 03:06 PM
I'm currently making a console type table for the missus out of re-cycled Oregon.

She's after a "rustic" look so the nail holes aren't a big deal. I'll fill them anyway.

The thing is though that she's not that taken with the natural orangey hue of the Oregon and would prefer it to be a bit darker and browner.

So what can I use to achieve this? I was thinking of using blond shellac.

Would this work or is a stain the way to go?

I'll probably go for a waxed shellac finish.

Cheers
Craig

barnsey
7th September 2004, 03:24 PM
Years ago made a bookshelf out of recycled oregon and bricks :o
It was so old the nails that I pulled out of it were square!!! :eek:
Anyhow took to it with a blow torch and then with a wire brush- The softer wood erodes away and the harder grain remains and the whole lot darkens. Try it on a piece and see if it is what SWMBO wants. I then just did it in satin estapol. Still looked good when I last saw it a couple of wives back :rolleyes:

Jamie

PS Dont fill the nail holes - you'll only draw attention to them ;)

bitingmidge
7th September 2004, 03:31 PM
Craig,

Oregon will go darker and browner with time.

Back to the '70's for instructions on burning it with a blowtorch, burnishing it then clear over the charred remains for you! (cut out little notches in the arrises first to give it a great fake Mexican feel).

Or why not experiment with fuming Ammonia?

Or a darker shellac?

Won't blond shellac just make it sit there wet looking?

Barnsey beat me to the burnt look...but if it worked for him......

Cheers,

P :D :D :D

craigb
7th September 2004, 03:35 PM
Well thanks but I don't think that was what she had in mind.

I didn't mention but I've dressed the Oregon so we're not talking about timber that looks like it just came out of your roof.

As an aside, the 200 x 30 mm planks were actaully quater sawn, which was a surprise to say the least.

Craig

craigb
7th September 2004, 03:37 PM
Midge,

Does Oregon have a high tannin content? AFAIK fuming only works with timber that does.

Craig

bitingmidge
7th September 2004, 03:44 PM
Midge,

Does Oregon have a high tannin content? AFAIK fuming only works with timber that does.
Dunno....but I might have a play tonight m'self..I have some "cloudy ammonia" which isn't the same, but smells as good..will report back!

P

Termite
7th September 2004, 03:52 PM
Try about 40g of Condys Crystals (Potassium Permanganate from the chemist) disolved in about 1Ltr hot water. Wipe it on with a rag. TRY A SCRAP BIT FIRST. I've had some nice shades on radiata pine with this brew.
Kind regards
Termite
ps. I know it looks purple but try it on the timber and it should go a golden brown.

craigb
7th September 2004, 04:10 PM
Thanks Termite. I'll give it a go. Golden brown is exactly the colour she is after. :)

Cheers
Craig

craigb
7th September 2004, 08:34 PM
Termite,

The Condys worked well. The wife is happy :)

Worth a greenie I reckon.

Thanks

Craig

JaD
8th September 2004, 11:19 PM
Golden brown is exactly the colour she is after. :)

Cheers
Craig

Hey Craig,
any chance of a photo on board. I have a tv/ent unit in the planning stage and will be made out of oregan from an old pergola. I'd like to see the result as, like you, SWMBO likes the colour :p

Jon

KiwiChippie
21st September 2004, 08:17 PM
I know that you fellas have already outlined some good ideas for the darkening of Oregan.

Specially the one about using a blowtorch. Funny isnt it how what we did in the 70's comes back to help us.

25 years ago I obtained some reasonably dressed douglas fir (oregan pine) in the form of 5 x 1's. From this I made a 4 foot by 2 foot coffee/occasional table.

My good lady informed me that she didnt like the natural color of the wood particulary and as I had seen some other tables done in Oregan...knew that the dark finish had been achieved by blowtorch.

So I proceeded to burn the surface of the wood with an old fashioned kerosene blowtorch...which did the job just nicely. After wire brushing off (lightly) the carbon I was left with a dull but dark surface, that needed something to help it.

As I didnt have any natural wood oils at hand I tried something a little different. There was a 400 litre diesel tank nearby, of which I obtained a litre or so. With a soft cloth I lightly rubbed the surface with diesel. Much to my surprise this created a wonderfull dark black/red/blond effect on the timber ...much like the reddish color of english mahogany or rosewood. The coloration in it was fabulous.

The wood was then left to dry out to the touch, lightly sanded and a clear satin polyurathane was applied. This enhanced the lustre of the wood. The finished product was beautiful. Sadly the table was lost in transport some time later when we moved to another town ... but the coloration of the burning and diesel I have never forgotten.

In NZ smaller useful sizes or Oregan are hard to come by...but I noticed some very nice 12 x 4 beams at the local demolition place on the weekend ...and at $12 per metre....hmmmmm ... who know :)

craigb
21st September 2004, 08:58 PM
Hey Craig,
any chance of a photo on board. I have a tv/ent unit in the planning stage and will be made out of oregan from an old pergola. I'd like to see the result as, like you, SWMBO likes the colour :p

Jon
Sorry Jad, I missed the update to the post.

I will post some pics of the finished article when I get digi camera.
Won't be long now :)

Craig

craigb
1st November 2004, 09:42 PM
O.K. here are a couple of pics of the table. A before and after.
The brackets are purely decorative and are made of Tas Blackwood.
They were specified by the missus so who was I to argue?