PDA

View Full Version : Applying a stain to pine ....

Steve_DownUnder
6th September 2004, 11:01 AM
Morning all,

Not being an expert finisher :) ( to date varnish has been my finish of choice ), I need to know what is the best way to stain a pine entertainment center I am looking to make for a friend. They want the unit stained in Walnut, which is fine, but I would like to be able to avoid the varying shades that eventuate after applying a stain direct.

I have heard that it would be a good idea to apply a sealer to it first but what is the best way of doing it ? Apply a 1# cut of shellac ( something new to me ) or maybe buy a sealer from the local hardware ? If so does anyone have a suggestion or a leaning for one product or another ?

THanks for all you help guys

Steve

Termite
6th September 2004, 11:09 AM
One coat of Feast Watson Fungishield. Stops uneven absorbsion and prevents pine fungus. (That blue tinge that pine can get.)
Also U-Beaut Sanding sealer is very good and has the added bonus of raising the grain before staining. This is my prefered choice.
Kind regards
Termite

Steve_DownUnder
6th September 2004, 11:11 AM
Termite

Thanks for the quick reply... out of curiosity do you have a leaning one way or the other for the stain ? any particuler brand or type ?

thanks

steve

Kris.Parker1
6th September 2004, 11:21 AM
I've always found that using one brand helps as they are designed to work well together. For what you are after I would suggest using Wattyl's sanding sealer then after that has been applied use the stain of your choice. That would be the best way. Refer to the directions for use as these are the best guide "how to use" those products.

Have you ever tried using a sponge to apply your stain? I use a sponge quite often with great success. (It does; however, have its draw backs such as not being able to quite get into those grooves - you have to use a small paint brush for that).

A mate of mine uses a spray applicator from the same range; however, I am still not yet convined that is the best method as it does tend to run a lot more.

Cheers

Kris

Termite
6th September 2004, 11:35 AM
Steve basically I hate stains but before you use it you need to decide what type of finish you are going to put on it. If you use a turps or oil based stain then Danish oil will pull quite a bit of your stain out. However if you are going over the stain with a shelac based sanding sealer and then wax finish, it is OK.
Spirit based stains are a whole new ball game (read pain in the a**e).
You realy need to do some experimenting yourself to see how the different products act. I know that can cost a few bucks but it is better than stuffing up a good project.
I prefer to chemicaly dye my timbers if I'm not happy with their natural colour, but that is a whole new can of worms that I'm still coming to terms with.
Kind regards
Termite

bitingmidge
6th September 2004, 11:51 AM
what is the best way to stain a pine entertainment center

You could spill red wine on the unfinished timber..... :eek:

Sorry.... I guess I'm just missing Ozwinner!!!

:D :D :D
P

Steve_DownUnder
6th September 2004, 11:56 AM
Red Wine !!!

What a waste ... I'd be drinking it first .. and besides I NEVER spill red wine !! :D :D

Steve

Different
6th September 2004, 11:25 PM
Steve
Some here might not agree with my method but when I need to radically alter the colour of timber like pine I put the spirit based stain directly into the finish such as Feast Watson Satinproof or Weather proof and just paint the colour on with the finish. Has worked well when I have needed it.

Ross