PDA

View Full Version : Resto - opinions...

q9
24th August 2004, 02:17 AM
I have a set of silky oak drawers which had a funny dark finish that went pretty yuk. I think it was finished with some sort of shellac, it sands off easily and I have just about finished that side of it.

The plan is to remove the remaining remnants of the old finish, fill the holes, then apply sanding sealer, estapol matt poly, and then a few coats of danish oil. Obviously I am after a low gloss finish.

Any problems with this plan for the silky?

RETIRED
24th August 2004, 09:46 PM
I have a set of silky oak drawers which had a funny dark finish that went pretty yuk. I think it was finished with some sort of shellac, it sands off easily and I have just about finished that side of it.

The plan is to remove the remaining remnants of the old finish, fill the holes, then apply sanding sealer, estapol matt poly, and then a few coats of danish oil. Obviously I am after a low gloss finish.

Any problems with this plan for the silky?
Yep. Oil finish needs bare wood to work properly.

q9
24th August 2004, 11:31 PM
Hmmm...see that's what I thought, but the directions on the can of danish oil (wattyl) says to use matt poly underneath. For once I thought I might follow directions...

Used it straight on teak and it was good.

Is danish a good finish for silky? Initially I thought a low sheen poly or lac. but changed my mind arbitarily.

q9
28th August 2004, 03:10 AM
Well it is mostly done now. Just need to refit the top to it and finish it. Couldn't remove the finish in the routed edge, so I had to re-cut the profile with the router.

Have just used straight danish oil, and it looks ok. Well for silky anyway (I'm not a big fan of silky).

I could have built them from scratch for the time I've put in...a lot of the problems come from fairly ordinary workmanship in the first place.

If I can wrangle a digi cam of someone I'll post a pic or two.