PDA

View Full Version : Removing Shellac

peregrins2
13th August 2004, 11:42 PM
I posted the following in Boats, someone told me to repost here:

Hi,

I've been reading the boards and I think I have this right but just in case:) :

We have a "new-to-us" fiberglass boat with a whole lot of teak appointments interior. Most of the bulkheads, doors, trim, etc...all "varnished" but old enough to be dark and covered in tiny cracks.

Huband was taking a heat gun to it and it turned all gummy and then black and smoked like it was burning. We think it's shellaced! He got a lot off by scraping but LONG, difficult job that way!:eek:

From what I've read, our route should be 50% Denatured Alcohol, 50% Laquer Thinner? I need to remove all, have used heat guns and furniture stripper for regular varnish, etc...not afraid to do what it takes.

Thanks for your info!:cool:
Bill and Diane
S/V Argonaut
<!-- / message -->

Robert WA
13th August 2004, 11:48 PM
I somehow doubt that it is shellac but, if it is, it will dissolve in metho.

peregrins2
13th August 2004, 11:57 PM
Well, I can't say we're sure either...the boat was built in Taiwan in 1979. The finish is cracked all over, very tiny. It certainly is not varnish, we're sure of that as we've been in boats for a very long time.

A heat gun did as described above, furniture stripper did NOT bubble the finish, even after leaving it on for 10 hours it was still wet and when scraping it was becoming a mush, waxy.

Bill's going to try the 50/50 thing today but if anyone knows what this stuff is, we'd be grateful.

Bill and Diane Stevens
S/V Argonaut

bitingmidge
16th August 2004, 05:31 PM
Epoxy as a topcoat?
Could be anything!

Forget my paint stripper suggestion on the other thread then!

Cheers,

P

ubeaut
17th August 2004, 03:03 PM
I have never used a heat gun for stripping but I'm pretty sure that the idea is to make it go gummy (sticky) and then scrape it off. Stop trying to burn it off and you might it might make the stripping a little easier.

By the way when you strip with stripper the surface is supposed to become mushy that's how you get it off. What are you waiting for? It doesn't just fall off, you have to work at it. Not everything will bubble when stripper is applied. If it softens then the stripper has done its job. The rest is up to you.

Cheers - Neil :rolleyes:

peregrins2
19th August 2004, 10:07 AM
Neil,

I've used heat guns and strippers on paint and varnish for years. What I was trying to say was that it was different...I scrape before burning all the time with a gun but this won't scrape, it's too gummy and gets stuck, then it burns.

With the chemical, it didn't break down the coating at all, just scraped off without doing anything. Even after letting it soak all night.

But thanks for trying to help.

Diane