PDA

View Full Version : Umber Stain

danr
10th August 2004, 09:03 PM
G'day, I am trying to match a stain applied to a piece of furniture made from Victorian Ash. The colour is called 'Umber'. Could anyone tell me who makes it and where to get this stain in Melbourne.
Thanks,
Daniel

hexbaz
10th August 2004, 09:12 PM
G'day, I am trying to match a stain applied to a piece of furniture made from Victorian Ash. The colour is called 'Umber'. Could anyone tell me who makes it and where to get this stain in Melbourne.
Thanks,
Daniel"Antique Wax" contains raw umber - you might try that.

... A quick search of the web shows that Antique Wax is available in Oz:
Langridge Artists Colours, 120 Langridge Street, Collingwood, 3066, Victoria.

Shane Watson
10th August 2004, 09:12 PM
You may as well ask us who shot JFK! :eek:

It all depends on who manufactured the furniture your trying to match. Chances are that the company produced there own colour range in which case you won't buy it anywhere.

Easiest solution is to colour match the stain. Easy enough to do when you know how. ;) Otherwise see if you can convince your local polisher to mix you up a batch or better still get him to do the whole job. :eek:

I know wattyl have a stain colour called 'umber' but chances are its nothing close. But it is worth a look I guess. Oh and Croda used to have an 'umber' as well, come to think of it, so did Mirotone........

capedcrusader
18th August 2004, 10:24 PM
Umber might just be a trade product name but its also the actual name for a brown earth mineral pigment so chances are that any stain containing umber as a pigment would likely be similar.