PDA

View Full Version : Planning the new Shed

vsquizz
6th August 2004, 01:12 PM
Tacit approval has been received from the Minister:D

I've got a sparky coming out today to look at putting in some conduit for 3 phase and single phase for the new shed (9.1m x 4.6m). I have to put in a retaining wall before the slab goes down and I want to get the services organised. Any ideas would be appreciated. I only expect to have 2 x 3 ph items plus a couple of 15 amp plugs with the rest being 10 amp.

Also, on all the stuff I have read on Dust Extraction it seems one of the fundamentals is to have the DC Outside the shed. Any thoughts. I was thinking I could use part of my old (garden type) shed to make a little enclosure outside for the DC but I guess it would have to be weatherproof. My DC is a 3hp.

Zed
6th August 2004, 02:47 PM
forgive me if im wrong but I undeerstand that DC is ok outside so long as your ducting is not too long (unless its solid pvc piping)flexible hoses reduces the suction so you should try to limit it....

outside cuts down on the noise too... I would make sure that the DC is under cover so it dont get wet ( a mate of mine has his enmeshed in fly screen type stuff to stop moisture and insects) and you wanna make sure its readily accessable so you can clean/empty it.

are you gunna use a tin shed, brickwork or fibro etc... ?

craigb
6th August 2004, 03:22 PM
vsquizz,

I HATE YOU !!!
:D :D :D

Just kidding in case you didn't notice.

Good luck with it. Take the time to get it right would be my advice.

Craig

vsquizz
6th August 2004, 03:39 PM
Craig, no worries, shed envy will do that

Zed, Colourbond to keep up with the Jones's. I'm thinking of lining it with builders foil or batts and...whatever is cheapest at the time...probably 1/2" plywood where I want to mount things and the first thing that comes to hand elsewhere.

bitingmidge
6th August 2004, 03:51 PM
outside cuts down on the noise too...
:D :D :D
Not for people outside it doesn't!! I can't say the noise from my DC is a problem, but if I had a different situation, I'd think about building it in a cupboard and discharging it outside.

If noise isn't a problem for neighbours it gets a bit academic!

Cheers,

P :D

Tonyz
6th August 2004, 11:23 PM
try your local[?] furniture manufacturers, when getting loads of chipboard/mdf esp the big sheets it usually has 'cover sheets' =mdf 3-6mmthick my shed has batts then lined with these sheets. cost NIX Tonto

vsquizz
6th August 2004, 11:32 PM
Thanks Tonto, I'll give em a whirl. I have actually got some engine crates put aside (1/2" ply) so thats a start.

Zed, don't you go starting that PVC ducting dust explosion thing again:D
(took me about five hours to read all that)

Midge, if its good enough for their (neighbours) bloody V8 to be revving its guts out in their shed half the night then my 3hp DC should be cool.

kiwigeo
7th August 2004, 12:38 AM
Midge, if its good enough for their (neighbours) bloody V8 to be revving its guts out in their shed half the night then my 3hp DC should be cool.
You can always stick a V8 on your dust extraction system....length of ducting will NEVER be a problem!! :)

TassieKiwi
8th August 2004, 01:50 AM
Kiwigeo

Your flag would suggest that your'e 'Aussiegeo'?

kiwigeo
8th August 2004, 03:23 AM
Kiwigeo

Your flag would suggest that your'e 'Aussiegeo'?
Couldnt find a kiwi flag in the avatar catalogue. The passport is a Kiwi one but allegiences are really on both sides of the Tasman.

Martin

Iain
8th August 2004, 09:28 AM
I've just had a major erection, 6x12 metre and a carport in front.
I had thought og placing the DC in the carport area but it is only 1hp and probably not big enough.
I have also seen a site were plywood ducting was used, theres no rule saying that the ducting has to be round and I thought this might be a good option with no static problems.
Incidentally, how high are your walls? mine are 10' and this will allow me to fit a 250watt highbay light (mercury vapour) to illuminate the whole area.
They are only about $90 and apart from about a 3 minute warm up they are good.
Also have skylights and insulation to keep it dry in winter and me cool in summer.
Slab should be going in tomorrow and sparky out next weekend to lay the cabling (and sewer line).

Ivan in Oz
8th August 2004, 09:54 AM
I've just had a major erection

Iain,
Do we need to know that :rolleyes:

Count

Iain
8th August 2004, 10:03 AM
In two years time when you are my age you too may become proud of your own achievements ;)

vsquizz
9th August 2004, 01:44 AM
Iain, my walls will be 8'8" (2.7m) but gable roof so I will have some height to play with. I think the gable area will get filled up with crap (as per usual). Whilst I have some halogen lights to fit over specific machines I haven't given it too much thought...I don't like flouros as I have optic condition which is affected by the flicker/frequency. They give me a ball-biter of a headache if they are reflecting off something like a PC monitor or a window.

I gave my father one of those big lights (off a tennis court - don't ask) and he ended up burning the tops of his ears from having it too close. The Doc is always trimming a bit off his ears each year, worried about the big C.

I'm actually thinking of putting a trench in the slab so I can run the duct for the tablesaw underdeck?..Has anybody done this?.

Iain, At any stage of life erecting is not so much the problem as what to then do with it?

HappyHammer
16th August 2004, 05:19 PM
Have you thought about layout, what goes where? This might give you some ideas....
http://www.diynet.com/diy/ww_shop/article/0,2049,DIY_14445_2278324,00.html

HH.

rsser
16th August 2004, 06:08 PM
Wrinkle with DC venting outside is that it will vent your warmth or 'coolth' there too, but I expect you've thought of this.

Trench would be neat but you'd be st***ed with a blockage.

I've heard of guys going to a carpet supplier and getting the heavy cardboard rolls carpet comes wrapped around and using them for DC pipes.

Cheers

vsquizz
17th August 2004, 02:44 PM
HH, Thanks for the link. I don't sleep at night doing the floor plans in my head.

Rsser, I spoke to the concrete dude and I can make up a form ply box 6 " square with an overlapping plate top to give a 1" rebate around the top edge formed in the concrete. That way I should be able to drop the duct in and then put a 1" ply cover over which is level with the concrete.

I'm just paranoid about getting it in the right spot (re the sleepless nights) and I'm also shagged down the track if I change the layout or put in different machines. Maybe I'm just another pipe (get it) dream:o

As for ducting material I'm trying to find something like these:

http://www.speedlock.com.au/flexibleducting/

Cheers

rsser
17th August 2004, 05:12 PM
Pipe nightmare?

Don't want to make it worse, but workshops are evolving things ... buy another absolutely essential machine ('I swear SWMBO'!) and you're into rearrange mode. So you can be too clever at this stage.

Expelling up rather than down will give you more flexibility don't you reckon?

vsquizz
17th August 2004, 07:21 PM
Pipe nightmare?

Expelling up rather than down will give you more flexibility don't you reckon?
Your right but thats what I was trying to avoid. I'll keep nightmaring.