PDA

View Full Version : Grain Filler - How do you do it?

Mmcbain
4th August 2004, 02:34 PM
Hi All,

I am so close to finishing that damn table I have been working on since February, I can taste it - watch out for splitters ! !

Anyway, the top is half kauri and half kauri substitute (which I found out after I bought the piece - thanks for the tip Neil). I was advised by a co - worker to use grain filler before finishing - I am going to use hard shellac.

I am just a little unsure of the method and purpose of using this. I have used sanding sealer on another project, and found that gave a good result. But on ready the "tin" of grain filler, it doesn't mention about sanding after application, which is what I did with the sanding sealer - basically I am confused. Should I use it at all?

I will be sanding a bit back going through the grades - but am unsure of when, what and how.

Thanks for everything as always.

Marls

vsquizz
4th August 2004, 09:45 PM
Marls, you normally would not sand after filling. Filling is done before applying your finish and after final sanding. I have only used it for some end grain but I know some who use it quite liberally on larger surfaces.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Gumby
4th August 2004, 09:56 PM
You have to get it *very* smooth first. I mean almost shining. That means down to about 800 grit at least.

Then sanding sealer, sand (light) then thin the shellac to 50% with metho and apply with a pad. You'll need quite a few coats but it will be worth it. After you've put on 3 or 4 coats you can give it a very light sand again , say with 800 again, just to smooth the dust. Then go again with the thinned shellac.

Believe me , thinning it down is the only way. You'll love the finish though.

After that you can get Neil's book, follow the instructions and get a soft sheen finish or full gloss , depending on what you want it to look like.