PDA

View Full Version : you guys might be horrified

capedcrusader
22nd July 2004, 08:08 PM
Hello All
Like I said you guys might be horrified to hear this but for reasons that I wont go into I once tried to simulate a transparent finish effect over painted trim/door in my front room but without removing the paint/ preparing the surfaces first (ie: like a Black Japan effect) I thought that if I painted the trim the darkest shop prepared brown acrylic (methacrylate) paint (which was a horrible brown colour and not dark/rich at all) that I might produce a graining effect using meths based stain. I applied the stain grain and to my surprise the stain seemed to "activate" and "fuse" with the acrylic and then even out resulting in a deep and rich transparent surface (but definately no grain effects) which I covered with acrylic varnish. Its probably not a chemically stable surface finish but its still OK after 5 years. Dont be calling me a philistine cause I know its not a legitimate way to do things but I thought someone might be interested to know. It kind of looks deep like laquer but not glasslike.
Cheers

Tonyz
22nd July 2004, 09:36 PM
maybe next door.... I dont think so

capedcrusader
25th July 2004, 06:53 PM
maybe next door.... I dont think so

Wouldnt want to - not for all the ferns you could stuff into a body sized barrel
Sorry - no offense