PDA

View Full Version : Finish to shop bought pine table???

hawkinob
21st July 2004, 10:29 PM
I have instructions to build a coffee table to match some shop bought pine furniture - dark oak/burnt oak finish. Would the commercial makers spray the stain and finish? I have in mind using an oil stain (I do not have spray equipment) but am unsure how to match the finish (top coat(s)). What would be the likely finish used on the shop bought pine? The sales people seemed not to know.

Thanks,
Bob H.

Tonyz
21st July 2004, 10:50 PM
Most manufacturers put a delivery sticker somewhere check that out and follow through, or ask the retailer who the manufacturere was/is and follow through; color matching can be done by most competent polishers check locally or yellow pages.... Tonto

hawkinob
26th July 2004, 10:47 PM
Thanks Tonto, there was no sticker and the retailer said they had various suppliers!
I'll try to please.
Bob H.

journeyman Mick
26th July 2004, 10:56 PM
Bob,
if it's a fairly dark finish then you'll be pretty safe using a different type of finish as it won't really be noticeable. I would think that most manufacturers would probably use nitrocellulose lacquer which generally needs to be sprayed. The cheaper stuff often has stain mixed into it, but it's better not to as it is harder to get a truly even coverage. If you want you can check to see if it's lacquer by rubbing a bit of lacqer thinners onto a (hidden) spot. This will soon soften it if it's lacquer but won't affect it if it's polyurethane (the next most used option) or any of the two packs (unlikely in budget stuff).

Best bet is to try staining a few offcuts to approximately the same colour and putting some of your preferred finish over the top to see what gives the best match.

Mick

hawkinob
26th July 2004, 11:01 PM
Thanks Mick, I'll do that.

Bob H.