PDA

View Full Version : Another newbie, complete with grey hair !!

Ken Prider
30th July 2009, 10:54 AM
G'day all from central Queensland, where the weather is perfect for woodworking. Although I joined a few weeks ago, it took me a little time to read all the very informative information & I found that most of the questions I wanted to ask have already been dealt with. I have been busily cutting down, end sealing & storing for drying 2 large "Loquat trees" that have been giving me a hard time for the last 28 years. Each tree had 3 trunks from the ground approx a foot in diameter. I estimate at least a ton to a ton & a half of very interesting green wood. If anyone out there has any tips for this drying process, I would appreciate the feedback.:2tsup: Regards to all, Ken.

rod1949
30th July 2009, 11:00 AM
Not grey... its Platinum:D. Welcome

The Bleeder
30th July 2009, 11:51 AM
Not grey... its Platinum:D. Welcome

Just stop using that 'Grecian 1900' and it will return to its normal colour.

BTW welcome to the madhouse....

munruben
30th July 2009, 03:09 PM
Hi Ken and welcome.:2tsup:

Allan at Wallan
30th July 2009, 03:39 PM
G'day all from central Queensland, where the weather is perfect for woodworking. Although I joined a few weeks ago, it took me a little time to read all the very informative information & I found that most of the questions I wanted to ask have already been dealt with. I have been busily cutting down, end sealing & storing for drying 2 large "Loquat trees" that have been giving me a hard time for the last 28 years. Each tree had 3 trunks from the ground approx a foot in diameter. I estimate at least a ton to a ton & a half of very interesting green wood. If anyone out there has any tips for this drying process, I would appreciate the feedback.:2tsup: Regards to all, Ken.

Welcome Ken.

Best way to dry out all of the trees - put them on a semi and send
them down to Wallan. The weather is better down here.:D

Allan

Ken Prider
30th July 2009, 03:55 PM
Welcome Ken.

Best way to dry out all of the trees - put them on a semi and send
them down to Wallan. The weather is better down here.:D

Allan
:no: I don't want to appear selfish, but by the look of this wood (I cut a piece & had a look inside) I had better keep it where I can watch it dry. Wife cannot see how I can be so excited over a pile of logs !!

Christos
31st July 2009, 12:47 AM
Welcome to the forum. No many people will get excited over wood. On this forum there are heaps.

coffenup
1st August 2009, 12:25 AM
at least you have hair:rolleyes:
regards michael

Ken Prider
2nd August 2009, 01:22 PM
at least you have hair:rolleyes:
regards michael
Good to hear from you Michael, I am ex Sth Aust, approx 32 years ago. I shudder to think of the beautiful timber I have burnt in the past. Next time in south aussie I am going to sniff out some "whip stick mallee" above the ground stuff. I presume there is still some left around Pinnaroo / Lameroo area. Regards Ken.:2tsup:

woodie2
2nd August 2009, 05:57 PM
Hi Ken and Welcome.

And yes they still have some 'whip stick mallee' up around the towns of Lameroo and Pinnaroo and other towns to boot. Good luck with your woodworking.

artme
3rd August 2009, 10:49 AM
G'day ken and welcome to the cubby.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Often wondered about Loquat timber. Mos t fruit trees have good timber for turning but the tropical types are often subject to insect attack so take care with the drying.

Ken Prider
3rd August 2009, 12:59 PM
Thanks for that tip, I have some particularly nasty stuff that white ants hate, so I will give it all a spray regularly. Not a lot of loquat trees around in QLD. Plenty in S/aust & I believe they are regarded as a noxious weed in NSW.

Ken Prider
3rd August 2009, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the welcome Woodie2, With regards to the "50 & counting :- don't count too fast.