PDA

View Full Version : G'Day from Queensland via baghdad

skippy
8th July 2009, 10:56 PM
G'Day there fellas and fellesses
Just quick hello from a 46 year old newby to the forum. I am a self taught wood butcherer and am keen to improve. There fore brace yourselves for a heap of dumb questions. I apologise in advance !!
I live in the sunshine coast region of Queensland and work in Iraq as a medic for a private security company.
I am home one month in 3 so therefore miss out on all the good wood shows and cool stuff like that. Anyway thats the way it goes.
I am into the word working stuff, but by the sound of things i am stuck in the ice age as far as knowledge and equipment go. I am doing a bit of a buy up of tools and the like to get the "Shed" into some sort of useable order.

Talk soon

Skippy

tea lady
8th July 2009, 10:58 PM
Ah well. At least you will be able to keep tabs of things on here while you are over there.:cool:

So what sort of stuff do you make? :cool:

And Welcome and all that.:D

skippy
8th July 2009, 11:19 PM
All sorts of stuff really all of a lrgeish nature though. hall tables, wardrobes, wine racks outdoor furniture, gun cabinets etc etc. I tend to use recycled stuff and no MDF
Skippy

paul k
8th July 2009, 11:36 PM
MDF isn't that some some sort of stuffing you put in a chicken. :oo:

welcome to the forum ,:U

Paul , k

Arnaud
8th July 2009, 11:53 PM
MDF isn't that some some sort of stuffing you put in a chicken. :oo:

welcome to the forum ,:U

Paul , k

Don't start insulting the chicks :U

paul k
9th July 2009, 12:54 AM
Don't start insulting the chicks :U
Not the ones from queensland i woudn't dare , cos i would end up stuffed .

skippy
9th July 2009, 02:52 AM
Not the ones from queensland i woudn't dare , cos i would end up stuffed .
True story brother true story !!

Skippy

artme
9th July 2009, 09:30 AM
G'day skippy and welcome to the cubby.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

No questions are dumb. You are just seeking information. So ask away and we will do our best not to confuse you.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

munruben
9th July 2009, 02:39 PM
Welcome to the forum Skippy. There are no dumb questions so just fire away and you will get all the advice you need. :):2tsup:

skippy
9th July 2009, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the welcome
You will undoubtable see a few posts from me in the near future and the first one is about cabinet saws . I tell ya what a nightmare it is settling on one and not really knowing what i am looking at doesn't help either.:U

Skippy

watson
9th July 2009, 04:50 PM
G'day Skippy,
Have a look around, and check Big Shed posts, as he documented the process to choose his saw. It may save you a heap of time.

skippy
9th July 2009, 05:34 PM
Thanks mate i will do that.
I stumbled on some of his threads early in the piece and do you think i can find them now?? No
But how do isearch for a particular members Posts

Skippy

watson
9th July 2009, 05:49 PM
You can find him in the member's List but until you find your way around, here's a link
http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=49583

Have Fun!

Christos
9th July 2009, 08:32 PM
Welcome to the forum.

I will say this is just my opion, you do not need big tools to make great stuff.

skippy
10th July 2009, 12:21 AM
You are undoubtably right. Its just that i have this head thing that heavy and big last longer and will handle my less than gentle handling.

Skippy

Weekend hack
10th July 2009, 05:07 PM
I am a self taught wood butcherer ...
and work in Iraq as a medic

Sounds like we need to asking you the Q's.

They say the first step is to acknowledge the problem.

You're years ahead of me... I'm still teaching myself the art of timber butchery whilst in a shame spiral of denial.

And to add to that, you can tend to your own injuries.:D

Welcome aboard.
Rob.

skippy
10th July 2009, 07:36 PM
Hahahaha
Spiral of denial....i like it
Yeah mate the lack of knowledge is a killer. You think you know something then you realise you really havent a clue. Annoying is the nicest term i can use.
But thanks to this forum i am sussing things put a bit. it's just that the have to have list is becoming as big as the lord of the rings trilogy.
And you are right ...i do have a pretty extensive first aid kit.

Skippy