PDA

View Full Version : Hello and how are you?

JohnMIII
6th July 2009, 12:57 PM
My name is John, I'm from Texas if I'm from anywhere, son of a military family and 10 year vet myself, 6 years in the USMC as a helicopter mechanic and 4 in the Air Force as a maintenance officer (after graduating college). I'm currently a civilian again, learning to fly helicopters (I solo soon in a Robinson R22), eventually I want to fly for a living but I have a lot to learn there first. I'm married to a wonderful woman who is still active duty (we met in college) and we have an amazing two-year old daughter hopefully with many more to come.

I've built a few things out of wood before, but I feel like I really don't know anything about it and I'd like to learn more, starting with web research. I have a list of things I want to build for my wife and kid, and more time than I've ever had to do it. I hope you don't mind my lurking, I don't have anything to contribute really since I don't know anything about wood or woodworking, other than I can spot quality and that's hard to find in a furniture gallery these days. I'd like to build pieces that last my family generations, that's the end goal.

My other interests, in no particular order:
Fly-fishing (been doing it since I was 8, 31 now, I tie my own and build my own rods, used to teach casting)
RC sailplanes, DLG variety
RC helicopters
Riding my motorcycle (it's in Japan at our other home, long story, we move back in March 2010)
Photography (DSLR)
Building PC's and computer gaming (winter activity really)
Shooting (expert marksman with handguns and rifles)
Keeping live planted freshwater aquariums (google "takashi amano" to see what I aspire to create there)
Reading (History and Literature major in college)
Writing

My proficiencies, in no particular order:
Metalworking (specifically aircraft, though I never learned to weld :doh:)
Hydraulics troubleshooting and maintenance
Auto Mechanics
Airbrushing (certain techniques)
Drawing and sketching
Debating (I love debating)

I think that about covers it! :U:U I'm sure there's more, because just about EVERYTHING fascinates me, there are not enough lifetimes to master everything I find interesting, unfortunately. Life is too short to do it all but I'm going to try. I've always appreciated what a skilled woodworker can do, the mechanical prowess and craftsmanship in designing a piece that is both beautiful and functional, what joints to use where, what wood to use, how to finish it, it's fascinating to me.

Now, on to lurking... :B

jmk89
6th July 2009, 01:01 PM
Welcome.
I hoope you enjoy your time here as much as we do.

And don't just lurk - a person who likes debating will surely have an opinion to offer ....

JohnMIII
6th July 2009, 01:15 PM
Haha, thank you, I don't mean to imply that I won't contribute anything at all, just that I literally know almost nothing about wood and woodworking, so I don't know that I would have much of value to add. :U

TBH, I know there are hard woods like oak and soft woods like pine, I know what grain is and what plywood, marine ply, and pressure treated mean. I know how to use a router, a band saw, a scroll saw, a rip saw, miter saw, drill press, etc. I took wood shop in high school and got an A, but that was very very basic stuff and 15 years ago.

My first ambition is to build my wife a gift, one of Clayton Boyer's clock designs. It's smaller, finer work, not as structural, so I hope I have a chance of producing a nice piece of work, a clock appeals to my tedious nature. :hahaha::hahaha:

Christos
6th July 2009, 02:35 PM
We are all at different levels of wood working and most of us have other interest. This is just one of mine and as time passes more interests develop.

Welcome to the forum.

jmk89
6th July 2009, 02:53 PM
The other thing is that we have a small but active bunch of metal bashers and so your knowledge in this area could readily be shared!

Have a look around and see what interests you (but remember, this is an Australian-based forum, we are generally friendly and tolerant but from time to time there will be comments that you might regard offensive (eg about the backwardness of the US - still using imperial measures and building gas-guzzling cars) - this is because we like you guys but also want to remind you that we have our own culture (not just yohurt) and our own perspctives on things.

So don't take offence, it's just our way...The Seppos (sorry citizens of the USA) who have realised that this is the case enjoy being here and make a valuable contribution to the Forums. Those that can't deal with it....well, we don't know what happened to them, do we?

JohnMIII
6th July 2009, 03:11 PM
Haha, yes, thank you! I'm a world traveler, I have many Kiwi and Aussie acquaintances and worked with many foreign (to the US) air forces while I was active duty.

Being a US Marine, almost nothing offends me! I noticed this was an Australian website, but I don't consider this a detriment. :;

Thank you for the warm welcome!

artme
6th July 2009, 09:52 PM
G'day John M111 and welcome to the nut hutch!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

You are a busy boy about to get busier. Enjoy yourself.:):):)

paul k
6th July 2009, 10:11 PM
welcome john , great introduction it's like i have known you for years :2tsup:
Paul , k

Every person can contribute in their own way

munruben
6th July 2009, 10:37 PM
Welcome to the forum John

tea lady
6th July 2009, 11:11 PM
Haha, thank you, I don't mean to imply that I won't contribute anything at all, just that I literally know almost nothing about wood and woodworking, so I don't know that I would have much of value to add. :U
You seem to have quite a long list of things you've done, so i'm sure you'll be able to answer just as many, if not more, questions than you'll ask.:cool: Sure sounds like you've had an "interesting" life. :D

jerryc
12th July 2009, 12:14 PM
JohnMM,

Welcome. I see you have a wide range of interests which shows an enquiring mind (sorry that sounds patronising but it's not meant to be).. However as an old codger let me say from experience that gradually you have to shed some activities to fit in more time on those that grab your attention.

However that will come most often by natural attrition. For example I love flying and owned a beautiful Tiger Moth, but with a growing family I realised I was being selfish with time and money, a two cockpit aeroplane means part of the family has to spend time on the ground, so I spent more time sailing with the whole family as a participating unit.

But while curiosity to experience everything exists, go for it. Better to say I have done that than live with regrets.

Jerry